Questions for the breeders

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ilovegoats, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ilovegoats

ilovegoats New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I am thinking about getting a buckling, but he is still a week old and he is still on the bottle. I was wondering what questions i should as the breeder. So here are the questions i have for you:
    1.) Should i ask him if he tests for CAE even though i dont know if mine are CAE free? (I am going to test in a month or two)

2.) Is it important weather or not the baby has been on the mother or milk replacement?

3.) What are some questions i should ask the breeder (this is the first time i have wanted to buy a bottle baby)?

4.) How much is a fair price for a one week old buckling?

5.) How much will it cost if i have to make feed him cows milk instead of goats milk?

Answers are much appreciated :thankU:

2. Emzi00

Emzi00 Active Member

May 3, 2013
    Michigan
    Definitely ask about CAE testing.
    Well, yes. I'm not a fan of replacement, but if he's being fed real milk make sure it's been pasteurized and the colostrum heat treated if his dam is not CAE negative.
    Ask how often, when, and what he is currently being fed. Ideally you'll want to feed him about four times a day.
    If he's registered and from good bloodlines anywhere from $250 on up. I paid $70 for a week old wether, and they would have sold him intact for $100. It all depends.
    A lot, lol. Plan on a gallon a day for three months and you'll have a fat, healthy, and happy buck.

3. ilovegoats

ilovegoats New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Could i get away with 5 gallons a week?

4. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    You don't want to skimp on milk when he is that young. As he gets older and starts eating grain, you can cut back a bit on the milk.

Do you know of a cow dairy near by? You could buy fresh milk form them much cheaper than from a store.

It's not cheap bottle raising a kid the correct way unless you have your own milkers.