The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Owned by the Animals
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to see everyone's feed mixture all in one post if at all possible. My questions are:
1. What is your mixture?
2. Do you mix large quantities when you purchase or as needed on a daily basis?
3. What type of goats are you feeding?

I'll start:
3 parts goat pellets
3 parts alfalfa pellets
3 parts rolled oats
1 part BOSS
1 part beet pulp shreds

I mix daily.

I'm feeding all does/doelings at the moment. Pygmy crosses, boer & nubian/boer.

My husband made me a calculator for my percentages. My current mixture is 12% protein, 5% fat, 20% fiber, .21-.35% calcium, .08% phosphorus.

Thank you so much for your responses :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Calculator? Would that be in an Excel file? Is it something you'd be willing to share? I'm not too good at math anymore!!! :-?

As for mixing -- I'm feeding 4 Nubians and I mix pretty much daily:

1 pt whole wheat, wheat bran or milo (till I get rid of it!)
1 pt BOSS
2 pt crimped barley (would like whole, but can't source it in my area)
3 pt whole oats

I then take this mix and add alfalfa pellets 1:1. I topdress a handful of Calf Manna onto the portions for my lactating doe and my pregnant doe.
The yearlings just get a little bit of the mix to keep them quiet while I'm milking! Otherwise the ASPCA makes visits and asks why I'm killing my goats!!! (not really)

As I said -- I'm not really good with math, so I don't have the percentages down, which bothers me. But the goats are doing well on this, so I guess it can't be too bad for them! That, plus they have coastal hay available in the paddocks and lots of browse (yaupon, oak, hickory, pine, a wide variety of grasses and weeds) for several hours each day.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
My dairy goats get..

3 parts alfalfa
1 1/2 parts sweet 18 Poulin grain
1 part calf manna
1/2 part beet pulp shreds
1/2 part whole oats
(I also add Zinpro 40 to their feed daily...1/4 teaspoon.Free choice kelp and manna pro loose minerals as well.)

I mix daily and individually...one of my does gets only 2 parts alfalfa pellets or she will waste it :l

So each goat right now (does due to kid early April) gets 3 c alfalfa pellets, 1 1/2 cups sweet 18 Poulin grain, 1 cup calf manna, 1/2 cup beet pulp shreds, and 1/2 cup whole oats.

·
Briawell6293
1,835 Posts
My mix is:
5 cups16% goat pellets
5 cups whole oats
3 cups rolled barley
1 cup cracked corn
1 cup boss
I mix this up for each feed which is twice a day. This is split between 15 does/ doelings at 1 cup each right now but soon some of my girls will be due so they will get more after kidding. The doelings get this once a day, the dry does get this once a day and the pregnant does twice a day :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
My Mix::
3 parts Nutrena !7% Goat feed.
1 part Rolled Oats
1 part Barley

I mix this together in a huge tote.
My girls are not milkers so they get very little grain. They are too fat. The boys are wethers so the Nutrena food is good for them. In a scoop , i put three handfuls of alfalfa pellets, three handfulls of the grain mix , one handful of cracked corn. I feed this scoop to share between the four girls. I do the same with the three wethers. They get this twice a day. Free choice kelp and hay.I have a loose mineral out also but they won't touch it. I but the goat blocks. They devour those.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use:
4 parts goat pellets
1 part alfalfa pellets
1 part beet pulp
1 part oats
1 part BOSS

My next batch will have the oats replaced by more alfalfa pellets. My girls get Manna Pro minerals, alfalfa hay, Timothy hay, and free choice coastal, as well as graze and browseabout 12 hrs a day.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We have full sized Alpine dairy goats. I mix the following once every 10 days and store in a secure metal can:

2 parts organic barley
3 parts organic oats
2 parts beet pulp
2 parts organic alfalfa pellets
1 part organic whole corn
1 part BOSS

·
Owned by the Animals
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Calculator? Would that be in an Excel file? Is it something you'd be willing to share? I'm not too good at math anymore!!! :-?
Yes, it is an Excel file. Well, a Google Sheets file actually. I would not mind sharing at all, as soon as I figure out how :) That probably won't be tonight, have an early vet appointment in the morning. I was never good at math, I only have 8 goats right now and my sig says 9, LOL. I love making Excel sheets for stuff, but the formulas for this one were over my head. He's a software engineer so I made him do it for me. He doesn't take care of the animals so he should help out somewhere :)

·
Owned by the Animals
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 parts Nutrena !7% Goat feed.
The boys are wethers so the Nutrena food is good for them.
Free choice kelp and hay.I have a loose mineral out also but they won't touch it. I but the goat blocks. They devour those.
My oats and goat pellets are Nutrena. Nearly all my life I've lived in this area and just found out last week that the mill across the street from my feed store is a Nutrena mill. Mine is the commercial goat 14%. I was using Paymaster Goat & Kid, but they want the feed store to purchase 6 tons at a time and this is not a big goat area, so we're about to start the switch to the Nutrena.

I want to get Kelp, but the only place I've checked so far was $21 for 5 pounds. My loose mineral is from Bryant and they love it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yes, it is an Excel file. Well, a Google Sheets file actually. I would not mind sharing at all, as soon as I figure out how :) That probably won't be tonight, have an early vet appointment in the morning. I was never good at math, I only have 8 goats right now and my sig says 9, LOL. I love making Excel sheets for stuff, but the formulas for this one were over my head. He's a software engineer so I made him do it for me. He doesn't take care of the animals so he should help out somewhere :)
Thanks! Will wait patiently... :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I want to get Kelp, but the only place I've checked so far was $21 for 5 pounds. My loose mineral is from Bryant and they love it.
I get mine at Producers Coop in Bryan. I realize that's a bit of a jog from where you are, but I wonder if you were to call them if they might be able to ID a feed store closer to you that carries it? Just a thought. It's just over $1/lb in 50# bags there. **** luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts