The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you shut them into a community pen? If so how big and how many goats(mini or standard) does anyone have individual stalls for goats with wire or chainlink separating them? I am going to be making my barn bigger( its a tiny 12x12 now) I plan to have a community area(probably 10x14) that opens into the pasture for day use but at night I put everyone in after milking. Right now the babies go in their area but they are quickly out growing it. I have one girl who gets beat up as soon as the door closes so she gets her own space at night. So that leaves my 2 nubians in the community area at night which works fine. The nubians can be bags(lol) so either I make a larger area for them and leave the herd in the large community area orrr I make stalls for each goat(thinking 7x7).....opinions and thoughts?

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
At night they dont need much room...mostly enough to lay comfortably and chew a cud....but if you have bullies...I would have a two areas..one for the bullies and one for the calm goats..always provide enough room so kids can get out of the way if they are being targeted...if I have babies Im not pulling at 2 weeks to milk mom..I keep a med. dog kennel in there so babies can get out of the way...they are pretty smart to find it and use it./..in our barn stalls we have a kidding pen the size of two normal stalls...its not closed off when not in use but does have the fencing on the side...that seems enough to give our pushy old saanen lady her own space lol..all the does know not to bother her..lol

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Right now we only have 2 goats and a big open area. Before the other 3 get here we plan to have up sections where we can insert a wall if needed so that we can keep it one large area or make 3 separate pens if needed. I like the ability to change things up when needed.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Mine have a barn/shelter in their pen. I do not shut them in at night or any other time, it is always open for them. My friend Lorraine kept her horses, and goats in her barn (16 stall barn), she kept them in there at night, and at all times when they were close to foaling or kidding. But she had a wet alfalfa stack in then barn 4-5 years ago , and it suddenly combusted. Her quad was in the barn close to the hay, and when the hay caught fire, it exploded the quads gas tank and the entire barn was in flames. All her goats and mares were in there, it was kidding season, and time to foal her mares. All her goats and horses in the barn were burned alive.
Thats my tragic 2 cents of advise on keeping animals in barns...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shut mine in at night due to coyote's, and dogs. They get along fairly well and haven't had a problem as of yet. it is about 10 x 12 for the dry girls. Milkers are in another shed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i must keep mine locked up at night we have bear,coyote,bobcats even a panther we have seen near by. my main dairy room is 12x12 for five goats...during the day all 5 go in willingly when its raining...no problems...at night i have 2 spare stalls (5x5 for kidding stalls) but i put 2 of my newest goats in each so only 3 goats stay in the 12X12 and they have lots of room...next month we are building onto the barn so all goats have a 15x20 free space...as long as no one is fighting you should be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts