Questions on banding equipment (Yes, another banding Q!)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It's that time of year it seems.

Well I've got two little boys who need to be banded soon, and I know what I need to DO, but what do I need to GET?

I use Tractor Supply, and this is the bander I think I should get: ... cial=false

However, these are the only kinds of bands they have? ... cial=false

The holes seem so large! They say "Not for use on calves over 250 lbs." Will these really work for the poor little guys? Or am I just underestimated their size lol. I looked and looked for smaller bands and there are none.
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats EXACTLY what I have used for years. Those "holes" are smaller than you think!

And if you are getting the entie bag of bands, take out what you will use now and put the rest in a ziploc in the freezer. They tend to break down in heat over a period of time, putting them in the freezer ensures they will be "fresh" when you need to use them again. :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    yes that is exactly what I have - and YES those bands are small..... they cut into my pinky finger and I am a skinny girl
  4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I totally needed that reassurance lol. I was like "omg look at these big holes" heh.

I will definitely put them in the freezer, thanks for the tip!