questions on castrating and debudding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by carlsmom, Apr 23, 2008.

1. carlsmom

carlsmom New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Hi I'm new here, I bought a nubian on march 15th he was 8 weeks old when I got him, The lady I got him from said he was dehorned and that she would band him the day I came to get him. When I got there, she said she had debudded him that morning too. He was already 8 weeks old, and had horns about 3/4 inch long. She said she burned them and that they would fall off in 1-2 weeks. It's been 5 weeks and they are still there, she also said his little sac would fall off, it hasn't and now it looks infected around the band. Is there anything I can do for him ? He seems to feel fine. It hasn't slowed him down a bit.

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm sure more experience is coming soon, until then I'll just say, it may take another couple of weeks for the scrotum to come off. Put some antibiotic ointment on the raw spot to prevent infection. Not sure about the horns...have they grown any? The burned spot should fall off after a few weeks. If they are still growing you will have to burn them again. Is the former owner available to do that for you?

Do you have other goats? Welcome to TGS there are alot of experienced people here that will be very helpful!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first Welcome! glad you joined us :wave:

to answer your questions..........chances are his horns will continue to grow but be stunted a little, unless she did a really good job. You will probably end up with some stubby deformed horns what we called Scurs, those can be removed by banding or surgically if you want them removed.

As to the band, you need to clean that area. Use some peroxide and if you can cut the band off and get a new one put on OR cut the band off and cut the sack off (yah gross) if it is that infected. You may need a vets help on this depending on the seriousness of the infection.

Start him on some penicillin = 1cc per 20lbs You can sometimes find pen at you feed store and they usually have syringes and needles too. If not you can ask for 5 doses from your vet. Always give penicillin for a minimum of 5 days if it is PenG so their bodies do not become immune to it.

I hope that helps

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You may have to band his scurs/horns eventually, if she didn't do a good job they may keep on growing. As far as the bands go, it will take about 6+ weeks for it to fall off.

Welcome to the Goat Spot :wave:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to The Goat Spot. :wave: Glad you found us here. I have to say I do not dehorn my goats so I can not help. Sorry.

Did he get banded that day also?

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The horns, If it's an issue for you too not have them...you may need a vets assistance to remove them...there is a really good post in Goat Sense 101 on that very thing. I myself just started to have kids burned this year soi I'm a novice also. The band well if it was done 5 weeks ago those little things shoulds be dry and hard! If his sack is still there and feels squishy the band was probably old and not tight enough. Get him on penicillian and wash the area with peroxide and if you don't feel comfortable doing what Stacet suggested, cutting it and the sack off then get him to a vet ASAP.

Welcome! I do hope that you find us a "happy" bunch of GOAT NUTS!!

7. carlsmom

carlsmom New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    thankyou everyone for your help. I'll get to the feed store and start him on penicillin. so if I cut his little sac and band off, do I still have to reband? I'll keep it clean and put ointment on it. As for the horns, if they where burned correctly, would they have fallen off? They have been growing. I have been reading other posts and I don't think I want to put him through surgery,,so if he has horns thats ok. I got him to be a buddy for my horse. They get along great, they are in my backyard so I'm with them all the time.
    I'll have a vet out if things get worse. thanks again for your help.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    With bucks, because of hormones and the fact that their horns are different shape than does, it is very unlikely that at that age that the horns could have been burned correctly. Now with does you can, but their horns are considerably smaller at that age. If you look at the thread that Liz mentioned in the Goat Sense 101, about dehorning, those were photos I took of the dehorning process with my wether Gus. Gus was disbudded at 4 days of age but I was the one that did it and it was my first got and I freaked out and didn't do it right. He was then redisbudded at 2 weeks old but that didn't do anything either. His scurs were just like horns, but considerably weaker in structure of course. When your little guy gets older, I think I would band his scurs/horns to prevent them from breaking off like Gussy's did. You probably won't have to band his horns for a while though.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, Somehow I missed the bottom of your post about the band job getting infected.

I had one do that two years ago. I felt really bad, it had pus all around it, and I banded him just like I do all the others. All I did (After I checked his temp and it was normal, I just washed the sac area well and I used Iodine on it. I never cut the bad, or the sac off. It fell off less then a week after I was cleaning it.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if the horns were already 3/4 inch long they are well established. a simple burn job isnt going to do much other then stunt the growth.
    As for the banding job the pen snd antibiotic cream should do the purpose.
    beth

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No, you won't have to re-band as there would be nothing there to band. If it is dried up but looking infected, wash it well w/ peroxide and apply the antibiotic cream or spray, it will fall off. If it's not dried up(the sac) then it's still getting a blood supply which will not allow it to dry out, that's when you would need to cut it off and be sure to get him on the antibiotics and keep the wound clean. The horns, if it's not a big deal to you then he'll be fine, just watch that he doesn't break them off.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Dito what Liz said. If the infected area is only near his body then cleaning it really good and starting him on pen should do the trick. I did this with one of my wethers 2 years ago. Sometimes they are just more prone to infection. watch for flies though