Questions on CL vaccine and tattooing

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Jul 31, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok so here are my questions -

1.) Where have you all got your CL vaccines from? Jeffers is out, caprine supply is out - and the local store does not carry it.....

2.) When tatooing for AGS - which ear is the herd name and which is the letter year and number?

3.) Since I had three dead babies out of 4 - do I just "pick" what number I want the live one to be in the sequence (so I have 1 and 2 already - would he be 3, 4, 5, 6??)

4.) When the next registered kids are born, do I start with 4 or 7 for the number? Is it like the dead ones were never here or do I still count them? I have no darn clue what to do. and can't find anything in the AGS online to figure it out.

Thanks

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Right ear: herd name
    Left ear: Y...and #

I always go through Jeffers for vaccinations so ???

I believe you count the dead kids anyway, you say there were 4 in birth and count each # for them, but you just don't send in papers for them. The new one could be 3, then the other three would be 4, 5, and 6.

Hope that helps a bit!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Birth year and number in the left ear, herd tat in the right ear. I do think that it is ok to not count the 3 lost kids and proceed as though they weren't "born", I'm sure I've seen a post concerning that same question and it was answered the same, it's up to you though...to count them or not. I got mine from Colorado Serum Co...used it as directed and haven't "boostered" since.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks - what age do you usually tattoo??? Do you do it at the same time as disbudding or seperate??

Everyone has been on indefinate backorder - aghhhh!

I have a call into WADDL and see what they think and how much it would be to have a vaccine made for me.

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know a lot of breeders that tattoo do it at 6 to 8 weeks.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I haven't had the opportunity to tattoo yet...so hopefully next year and I'll learn from posts like this one(I hope) as I go. I have heard that it's usually 6-8 weeks when it's done.

7. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I've heard that you count the kids anyway.. Even though they died, she still gave birth to them.. I'd think it's important to know the dead ones as well as the living to keep records in case a pattern starts and you find out a certain goat or line has problems kidding..

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's a good point KittiKity, never looked at it that way b4. I count the kids that are alive as well as ones that died. I figured because they were deceased does not mean they were not "born". It's entirely up to you though.

I've never vaccinated for CL, so do not know about that. It DOES seem like everything is on backorder though. . . .

I plan on tattooing when the kids are 6-8 weeks as well. I'm tattooing our bucklings next Monday before they leave for their new homes. Nervous, but that thread I posted in "Goat Frenzy" helped me some. :D Thanks!
    Tattooing at that age seems like a good time because the ears are a little bigger & kids are strong at that age.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Which disbudding iron do you all use - I am going to purchase one tonight - and was curious

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We need to get a disbudding iron too...right now we've been using the vet, but i'd love to have someone show me how to disbud on my own...I get to nervous to do those kind of things without good advice and guidence.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I dont vaccinate for CL, the vaccine is kind of like anti venom for snake bites, as it is made out of stuff from the actual disease. therefore when running a CL test the test cannot tell the difference the actual disease or if the goat has the vaccine in its system. The vaccine is no where near one hundred percent \. I i prefere to just test for it every year. or every other year. i wouldnt be able to sleep at night knowing if a positive test was actually positive or if it were the vaccine that made it come up positive.
    As for the disbudding i have a rhinehart x50 i have used the x30 on nigerians and pygmys but like my x50 better.
    beth

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am waiting to hear from the vet from WADDL as to vaccinating - as I have been told that if you tell them the animal has had the vaccine - then they can tell the difference in the tests.

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    For a disbudding iron I'd reccomend the rhinehart X50, I have the X30 and it is okay...but I'm going to be buying the X50 for next years kidding season.

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unless you knew every goat born at a farm in that year the numbering system used in tattooing is not a way to tell if a doe has problems with live vs dead kids -- just not possible.

As to the CL vaccine -- did you call them or just check their website?

I had a bad experience with the rheinhart X30 but after seeing someone else use it I think I had a defective one :shrug:

I use the Wall Lenk 125 watt

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use the x30 and I love it. I have seen a bunch of other irons and I like the x30 the best. You can tattoo whenever.

As to the CL vaccine. I got mine through jeffers, but my goats were more likely to have reactions to it, so I went to the regular cdt vaccine.

16. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Well, my thought on it was just to keep records of births, whether living or dead.. Just to keep records.. The numbers would be just place holders for the dead kids.. Also might help to keep track of genetics.. Like you can look in your records and tell that a certain buck throws spotted kids, whether that kids was dead at birth or not.. Or blue eyes.. Or polled.. But also like I originally said, to tell if a doe or line doesn't kid well.. The numbers would be strictly place holders in your records..

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    CD/T doesn't have CL vaccine in it though - correct? I was always told that it does not

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nope, I think they had a harder time with the Cl vaccine, thats why I switched to a vaccine without CL.

19. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The current CL vaccine is also for sheep anyway.. I read something (might have been here) that the serum or whatever that the vaccine is in is what goats have a reaction to.. There is a vaccine that is being developed for goats though..

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I always put the doe's name down w/ the # of kids. For example, I'll put Sassafras > Y1, (Timothy) Y2, (Clover) Y3, (Alfalfa). Those were the names of her kids born and I know who kidded w/ what. Not sure if that made sense or not. I remember all of our kids born anyways, but still do that.

I don't disbud our own kids. I pay a gal who's been doing it for 30 years. I've done it before and just HATED it! So, I'll just pay this lady to do an awesome job. :) I know she uses a Rhinehart, not sure if it's a 30 or 50. Probably 50 as she does a lot of kids. We had a Rhinehart 30 for a while (it was older; another breeder gave it to us). We would let it heat up really well and wait a couple minutes between kids, it worked well for the time we had it.