Questions on cocci treatment... ADDED new ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    The night before last my 3 yr. old Alpine milk doe was acting "off". She didn't come when I called her and she didn't eat her feed on the milk stand. I gave her probiotics. Yesterday morning it didn't look like she'd moved from the spot where I put her the night before.. still standing exactly the same in the same place. She hadn't touched her hay or grain and had diarrhia. Her temp was 104.6. I gave her Nutri drench and that got her moving around, she started munching on some hay and drank some water.

I talked with my goat breeder friend and she said to get some sulfer and B vit (injection) and give her. The only sulfur medicine I could find anywhere my husband had to get and bring home last night. It's calle: SulfadiVed Soluble (sulfadimethoxine Soluble Powder). Wow! Was it hard to figure out how much to give her in water. I'm concerned that we didn't give her the right amount and I didn't want to overdose her so we errored on the side of too little. How much do I put in her water?

Also, my friend said that the vet said she's seeing a lot of cocci around here this summer and has had everyone treat their entire herds if any animal shows signs. So - how much of the med do I put in the main water pail for my other six goats? What about the bucket that my two Nigerians drink from which is separate from the rest?

Then, she said I should also use it to treat my chickens since my goats and chickens free range together?

Finally, the "B" injection... I've read that I shouldn't give it to my goat until she's done with the sulfur meds? Is that correct?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: Questions on cocci treatment...

Cinder, the reason it is higher is from all the wonderful rain we are getting.

Just put it in the drinking water for all the goats to get. I would have a fecal float done on her so you know you are not treating her for something she does not have. I would also give her water with electrolytes because of the heat we have had.

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Lori - how much of the powder do I put in the water? The directions are not easy to figure out.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

There are directions for mixing Dimethox powder for a drench on the Fias co Farm website...not sure how much you'd add to a water bucket...I have always used it as a drench because it makes the water taste bad and the goats might not drink enough of it willingly. When I drench it I always mix in some koolaid drink mix to make it taste better so the goats don't fight it as much.

And, yeah, you will want to wait to use the vit. B until after they are done with the sulfa meds because it counteracts the effects of the medication.

5. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Are you sure it's cocci? My experience with it has not shown a high temp. Also, adults are generally able to handle it, though yes, they can get it. Especially in heavy rain.
    And if it is causing symptoms like off feed and temperature, then I would not mix it in water but make sure your doe gets it as a drench.
    I would advise a fecal just to make sure it's a cocci load and not some infection. Hope it clears up for you!

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I have had her separated from the rest of the goats. Is it Ok to put her back with them... she is doing better but still not eating her feed like normal. I'm on day three of cocci treatment. None of the other goats are showing any signs of being sick at this point.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cinder, I would wait until she gets the 5th dose, you can let her in with the herd, but a daily raking or sweep out of the poop would be a good way to ensure that the others don't pick up any cocci oocysts.