The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all I'm new here and was wondering on how to deworm my girls and buck with Ivermectin. It's the kind from Tractor Supply, I dewormed them early this week either on the 15th or 16th and was wondering when do I give another dose orally? On Facebook I saw a post that said deworm every ten days twice after the initial round?

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
10 days later, 3 x, 10 days apart, if the goat is really wormy.
2 x, 10 days apart, for normal worming, to get hatching eggs.

Sometimes, we can't all get a vet out or get a sample to a vet, so, if a goats inner eyelid coloring is pale, we can go ahead and worm and treat for cocci in case.

I do understand, sometimes also, vets are really booked up and as we wait, the goat may die from waiting on a fecal sample to be done. ;)

I know we always say, get a fecal, but sometimes we can't, so, it is best to do what is best for our goaties and each situation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y'all! I have a few more questions if you don't mind, do you know the maximum dose of ivermectin a goat can handle? I wanna get as many worms as I can and I just found out that one dose of safeguard isn't good enough to do the job (that's what we've been doing the past 4 yrs.) and I think that's why everyone's a pit pale in the eyes. Is it ok to give them a dose of both safeguard and ivermectin the next few times?

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
Ivomec has a pretty good safety margin.
Ivomec injectable is 1 cc per 40# sub Q OR 1 cc per 33# orally. Dont give orally to very pale goats, always inject that first time. It stings so expect a reaction.
More wormer doesn't necessarily kill more worms..give that 10 days between dosing to give it a change to work.
Ivomec sheep drench is 3cc per 18#

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I didn't know I had to inject it the first time, if I inject it will it help with the worm issue?

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
Yes it will help. I used to do injectable injected only when I used ivomec. Reason we don't give oral when worm load is heavy indicated by poor famacha (pale lids) is it can cause massive kill off..too fast for the goat to get rid of. Can cause toxicity and rapid release of worms can cause bleed out.
Best to inject the First time then boosters can be given orally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts