Questions on Udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Ana, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    I have two questions
    1. is shaving the udder before birth necessary?
    2. How do you share milk with goat kids?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Kids are due between the 2 and 14 of December it’s her second time kidding but her first time with me.

MadHouse likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You don't need to shave the udder. You would wait at least 2 weeks before milking. Make sure kids are nursing and growing before milking.

4. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Ok

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    How do I share the milk though:shrug:

MadHouse likes this.
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You would lock the kids away from Mom at night and milk in the morning.

AlabamaGirl and MadHouse like this.
  7. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Ok thanks

MadHouse likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I dont shave my goats unless they are super hairy..
    When kids are two weeks old and in good health I pen them in a safe kid pen with a tiny bit of feed to get them started on and chaffhay and hay and a small dish of water. I milk mom in the morning at 12 hr mark..then they get babies the rest of the day. I milk mom totally out..she will save up some for baby so no worries about stealing into their portion. The first several days they all act like you did the most terrible thing lol soon moms will be yelling at you that its bed time to come get the kids lol. Both babies and moms get into a routine. Increase babies feed amount as they eat more and tummies get used to it.

9. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Ok will do she has a lot of hair so I might trim it or just dry it when she delivers

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Shaving makes the udder very prickly and you don't want those spiky hairs discouraging brand new kids from latching on and suckling. It's also too cold this time of year to shave udders. Those girls need every bit of the scant hair they have in that area. Brrrr!

Good luck with those kidlets! :D

11. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Ok so then I will just dry her off, thank you!

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    A lot of people start at 4 weeks and separate the kids from the doe at night, and then milk in the morning and allow the kids to nurse during the day. Thats what I plan to do when my does kid.

MadHouse and Ana like this.
  13. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Awesome are you expecting any kids?

14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Lol..good point. We kid late spring so not an issue here..but definitely would be a bit chilly this time of year. I have had only one doe we had to shave..she was so hairy couldn't even see her teats lol.i tell yah. She was part buffalo or something lol.

15. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    Haha

MadHouse likes this.
  16. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't shave the udder, however I do shave around the escutcheon and under the tail - less gooy mess to get stuck and you can keep an eye on udder health and development.

17. Sometimes I shave them, sometimes not. This season, I chose not...mostly because I didn't feel like doing it. None of my girls have super hairy udders, and we're in the cold season. In the summer I give them an all-over shave so their udder gets shaved then.

We will milk twice a day from kidding. But we don't keep any milk until after 2 weeks. Mostly because that's how long it takes here for the taste to adjust. We separate kids at night and milk mom in the morning, then allow the kids back with her during the day. But we also milk in the evening, whatever is left. We have some that produce more than their kids take.

MadHouse and Ana like this.
  18. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I have a nigerian hopefully bred... she will have an ultrasound soon. And I have a nubian I'm waiting to come back into heat so I can breed her. Very exciting.

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    T
    thats awesome post pictures when you have them

MadHouse and Kass like this.
  20. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    So from this thread I have gathered that I won’t shave just dry her off and I will lock up the kids at night, milk in the morning, and then let them play with her the rest of the day

MadHouse likes this.