Questions on Udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Ana, Dec 1, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes, once they are at least 2 weeks old and strong and healthy.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  2. 12345

12345 New Member

Nov 22, 2020
    ohio
    When I treat my doe's udder with today or tomorrow, should I milk it out each time even if she is dry?

3. 12345

12345 New Member

Nov 22, 2020
    ohio
    How about when this is the 2 or 3 treatment?

4. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I shave udders. Not bald but close to it. The last thing I want to be doing is trying to wash dried blood and discharge off a newly fresh udder in freezing weather I also clip the underside of the tail, bob it, and trim the hair down the whole back end that might get covered in uck that’s hard to wash off.

I have some very high producing does but even with lower producers I milk from day 1. I don’t strip unless the doe has a single. Every milk doe I’ve had has outproduced her kids intake in the first few days. I want them to make a lot of milk so not keeping the udder empty “tells” her to produce less milk.

These are market types but they’ve just gotten their kidding clips for this year. On the black doe I can just follow the brown lines! Then I tidy the back of the udder and clean all the long hair away from the teats.

[​IMG]

5. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Ana, I have not seen where anyone said anything about the colostrum milk. The udder will fill up and the kids will drink all that they need in the first 24 hours. The colostrum will not do the kids any good after the first 24 hours. After that milk all the colostrum out of the udder and it will start making good milk for the kids. If the kids cannot handle all the milk the doe produces, then milk most of the milk out at least once a day and this will help clean the milk up faster and also help relieve the udder and increase milk production and take care of the udder. Good luck.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, always milk out the today-tomorrow before reinserting new.

7. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 New Member

Wednesday
    Cleveland, Tx
    I had to shave my girls before milking my nubian crosses had really fuzzy udders.. also my nigerian dwarf so is super shaggy. Helped with less hair in my milk. I shave em all right before they freshen. Helps with less transfer of dirt and bacteria. This just works good for me