The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 month old nigerian doe has not gone into heat in 5-6 months. She has never been around a buck so not pregnant. Gave copasure 2 gm x 2 four weeks apart. Ivomec inj. 1cc sc x 2 doses two weeks apart. Added boss to grain daily x 6 weeks now. Poops and pees fine. Still dry flaky skin, crusty cracked on chin, nose and tail with fish tail still present. Cracked areas treated with neosporin oint. x 6 weeks now very little improvement. Have also tried blue-kote. Diet is fresh hay at all times, fresh warm water 3x day ( very cold here now in Maine) grain 4 oz. 3x day little sprinkle of pumkin seeds, alph alpha and 5 ml olive oil each feed. Free loose minerals. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Sounds like she is either wormy or very mineral deficient. Ivomec should be dosed at 1cc per 40 lbs if doing injection or 1cc per 20 lbs orally. Did you dust her or anything for lice?

I would have a fecal done to include coccidia. What minerals do you use?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Manna Pro loose minerals. I looked very careful all over coat no lice present, never have dusted, just the ivomec. Maybe the 1 cc sc was not enough, although she has never had diarrhea. Has excellent appetite. Inside eyelids dark pink.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
When did you last do the copper??? I have dosed mine high and give every 3-5 months depending on how long it takes me to go down threw the herd. I have done this for well over a year and most are finally to the point they don't look copper def. I know selenium def. Makes them not fertal.....I don't know about the rest she has going on but maybe that has to do with not coming into heat??? But back to the copper your not going to see a change over night if your using the rods. Its a slow release which is why its very hard to over dose them on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copasure 2 gm x 2 doses 4 weeks apart. Last given 1 week ago. I think I might try selenium supplement sprinkled on feed or in loose minerals.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
You can get a Selenium/Vit E paste through Jeffers Livestock, Most other selenium is by injection by vet script.
As far as the reasoning behind whether you have well water or not, most wells have high iron content, that combined with the iron in plants she is eating can cause interference with copper absorption.

If there are no bucks around, she may need to have the scent of a buck in rut to bring about heat

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
How high is the iron in your well water? Iron binds copper. So you may need to know how high your iron is and adjust the amount/frequency of copper boluses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check our water for iron level. Thanks to all for suggestions. I do have the jeffers catalog for the selenium /vit.e gel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts