Questions Re: Dairy Goat Shows

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tremayne, May 24, 2009.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    My daughter has five dairy goats, two does and three bucklings. Today we took the boys out to the breeder's farm for tattooing and disbudding for the two little Alpines and tattooing plus scur re-burning for the 4 month-old Ober buckling. The breeder told us about an upcoming nearby dairy goat show where my daughter might show her Ober doe and maybe find a buyer for the Ober bucking.

We sent in the registration and are trying to figure out what we'll need to take. One small thing: my daughter has only shown Boers and doesn't know how to set up a dairy goat. :scratch: Does anyone know of a site where she might see a demonstration or pics?

This will be exciting, but more of a good exciting if she can find out what she's supposed to do. :shrug:

Any and all help would be more than welcome. :help: and :thankU:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That sounds exciting! Sorry I can't be of help as far as setup goes, but your daughters' experience with showing the Boer will definately help her.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Setting up a dairy goat is kind of like setting a boer. Always do the set of feet closest to the judge firstAlways reach over the goat rather then under the goat. The front feet should be square under the doepretty much straight down. not far foreward or back. her back legs should havea straight line from her pin bones to her hock to her pasturn.
    this goat is set well
    the doe to the far left is set with her rear legs too far under her ... rygoat.jpg