The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we may be finally closing on our new farm this week (fingers crossed). In order to do this I am trying to find a good home/farm insurance group for coverage. Do you mind if I ask who do you guys use and what all do they include in coverage?

I have called brokerage agents, our current insurance provider and other well named insurance groups and get mixed answers.

I didn't know a log home could prove so hard to get insurance on. One place told me that it was because they burned easier then stick built homes. Then another said it was because replacement values were higher to rebuild log homes therefore a lot of places do not want to cover them. Really? I always thought log homes were better built then stick homes and that surely they would be easier/cheaper to get coverage. My current insurance seems fair but they do not really offer true farm coverage.

I did just speak to Nationwide which sounds to have great farm and home coverage and they are treating me like royalty, but I have never dealt with them before. I have no knowledge on how they handle claims etc.

Anyone with suggestions or recommendations would be great appreciated.

Thanks
:D :cool: ;)

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
They have agricultural insurance. But you still have to be careful what is included. I had the agricultural insurance since I had an official S-corp and people were on my property and in with the animals. But to keep the cost down a little, my animals were never part of the insurance. Just the buildings and if someone got hurt.

Now I just have home insurance and that does include all my outbuildings. I'm no longer an official farm and I don't have the traffic coming onto the property that I did before.

My agricultural insurance was about $1600 for 6 acres and a log home with 4 outbuildings. My home insurance is about $900 with 2 outbuildings and 5 acres.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karen,

Thank you for the information. We are having to deal with 18 acres, log home and 5 outbuildings. State Farm and Farm Bureau gave us quotes that were close in price but only home coverage, but still covered up to a certain amount for the outbuildings and contents without getting into farm options. Nationwide sounds great but it will be tomorrow before any numbers can be ran.

It helps to know what to look forward to in insurance shopping. Thanks

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
My parents always had farm bureau. I have farm bureau for my car insurance but I have homeowners cheaper from another insurance agency and I don't need farm insurance. I have no idea what dad had covered at one time as he had a vegetable growing business. He had tractors and equipment I am sure he had covered, I don't know what else. It has been years too, I imagine they just have home owners through farm bureau now. Farm bureau is fair in price and good about claims in my opinion I have no complaints in my dealings with them.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. NubianFan: We use to have Farm Bureau for auto insurance but changed after one of their approved shops did more damage to my husband's car then what needed fix. Farm Bureau refused to let it go to another shop to repair the damage from that shop so we went to State Farm after that.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Weird I guess It depends on your area, ours always lets us pick our shop. But in your case I don't blame you switching!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had always originally heard good things about them but after that happened I shared my experience with others and found out a large amount of people in our area were having issues with them. I was also told by my realtor that they were higher on farm insurance then other groups, so we started shopping around. Lowest quote is with our current auto insurance company, but still waiting to hear on the others.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
It is called Agribusiness for Nationwide. I had the Agribusiness coverage. They are actually a separate department from regular insurance but you still go through your Nationwide insurance agent.

Nationwide was the only insurance that would cover the business in my area since it was alpacas that was the agriculture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts