The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :)
I'm doing a goat project for 4-H this year, so I have been doing a ton of research on keeping goats and different breeds and whatnot before I get one.
However, there are a few questions I still have, and so I'm hoping one of you could maybe help me out.

1.) Is there a season or time when it is better to get a kid? Like is it a better idea to get a goat in the spring vs the fall etc.?

2.) While I know picking a goat breed depends mainly on why you want the goat, is there a breed that is better for new owners? Or are they generally all the same?

3.) Since goats do better in a herd or at least a pair, can that herd be made up of 2 different kinds of goats? Or is it better if the herd/pair is all the same breed?

4.) I've heard mixed opinions on whether it's easier for new goat owners to have a wether or a doe to begin with, so if anyone has any opinions on that I'd love to hear them.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
A lot will depend on your 4H club. Some are dairy only and some are Boer goats only. You would need to find out the requirements of the 4H club you join.

You can have 2 different breeds of goats together. Easier if they are both young and about the same age.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Normally it's better to get a kid in the early spring, so it can browse and pick at the grass while verything is still green, it's not as cold, and you will have summer break to work with your goats.

If you want to show market wethers you will need to buy them according to when the fair is.

Generally most breeds are the same in care level, Oberhasli's and fullblood Boers require more copper intake than any other breed. Another thing to consider is sometimes goats with horns will use them on other goats, so it may be a better idea to get ones without horns (ones that have been disbudded or dehorned)

I would get does first, they can be just as loving and friendly as wethers, but you do not have to worry about urinary calculi problems with does like you have to with wethers.

Herds can be made up of 10 different breeds if you wanted, it's not limited to just one.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Newbies here too and like the breeder we got our Oberhaslis from, we keep Nigerians (two, they are actually 3/4 Nigie and 1/4 Togg or Saanan) together with our 3 Oberhaslis (her herd is mainly Obers with a few Nigerians, she used to breed them , mixed in) .... the littles tend to follow around the standard size goats, and they are horned, so far so good...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts