Quick ?? about Copper...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I just gave my doe copper, via a bolus on monday. And she is in heat today, can I breed her? Also is it safe for pregnant does?

Thanks!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think it is fine to give it to pregnant does. Never been told otherwise. Someone else might know for sure though.

I gave my preggy LaMancha a copper bolus without even thinking about it about a week ago. :doh: She's fine so far.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do give it to pregnant does. I have done it at all stages of pregnancy and never had any trouble.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the loose salt and minerals have it in it ..and I think the blocks.....pregnant or not ....they lick it :) ....no worries.. :)

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

copper should be fine. I know there have been problems with bo se given at certain times during breeding and pregnancy.
    beth

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what minerals are known to be dangerous during pregnancy>?

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i know bo se can cause problems during pregnancy. there are a couple of stages when it should not be given. i know the day they are bred it should not be given, i had a friend that gave a doe bo se the day she was bred the kid was born very deformed.
    beth

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    As far as I know copper can be beneficial during pregnancy... in fact, my sheep (sheep arent supposed to /need/ copper) HAVE to get a copper injection in their 3rd month of pregnancy because of a slight deficiency in our area - so that they lambs dont get sway back.

I would assume that a goat having a copper bolus would prevent the same thing in a kid. . .

LW

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What do you use for your copper bolus and where do you get it?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I make my own bolus . I buy the capsule form the health food store and I bought the cow bolus, open them up and very gently pack the rods in the capsules that I bought. I also bought a special bolus gun that is for the goats or at least it works well for them. It is small enough that it holds the homemade boluses and the end is like a plastic hose that is soft. I was going to purchase plastic one the hard plastic but they told me about the trouble that they have seen. The goats bite on the bolus gun with there very sharp back teeth and they cause it to split and then it will cut the goats mouth if you still use it.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, I went to Jeffers and they have some for $32.25 it is 12.5gm package of 25 for calves. Is this the correct one? it is called Copasure.

How many goats will this typically do? How much am I supposed to put in the capsules?

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep thats the right one. I had the dosage on another thread. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4293&start=0

But someone else might have another dosage.

The capsules treat several goats. So far I managed to get just two from a friend so I haven't had to buy my own yet. Was thinking of trying to split the price and copasure with someone.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is kind of what I was thinking. I would like to do everyone which is 21.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you have a feed supply store that sells them, I would go that way. They were only like 49 cents each.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I order them through a friend of mine. She has a dairy and i just biuy them from her. But i know she goes through jeffers or soemthing like that. But she has a lot more goats then i do. i just add a pinch over the top of each goats grain. For bucks they get a small treat if they need copper.
    beth

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beth they will not do them any good like that. They have to be in rods. If they are in the food then the are all chewed up and that will not do them any good.

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yea they come in the rods. I just sprinkle a few pieces over the grain. IU can always tell the difference within a couple of weeks, as the bald spot on the tail will go away.

beth