The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FF had quads this morning! Two born out in the snow, we thought she was done, brought her in and she had two more. The biggest is just over 4 pounds and the littlest is 1 lb 2 oz.

That little doeling can make some noise but she's very weak and has not shown any interest in using her mouth to eat. I got dam's colostrum in her with a pipette, maybe she's had 2 teaspoons this morning.

How do I encourage a sucking reflex? What tools work best to feed with such teeny mouthparts? I hope you don't say tube feeding.

Also, she's not stood up yet on her own, doesn't really try. It seems dangerous to leave her outside with her family being so limited in mobility, but I really don't want a bottle baby. We're doing asbestos abatement next week then have floor refinishing and so much more. It's a hard time for humans in the house, let alone goat kids. We'll do what it takes to help her! we want her to make it! But I might have to sneak her into a hotel or something insane. Any tips on how to navigate the first days with such a runty one is helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
My FF had quads this morning! Two born out in the snow, we thought she was done, brought her in and she had two more. The biggest is just over 4 pounds and the littlest is 1 lb 2 oz.

That little doeling can make some noise but she's very weak and has not shown any interest in using her mouth to eat. I got dam's colostrum in her with a pipette, maybe she's had 2 teaspoons this morning.

How do I encourage a sucking reflex? What tools work best to feed with such teeny mouthparts? I hope you don't say tube feeding.

Also, she's not stood up yet on her own, doesn't really try. It seems dangerous to leave her outside with her family being so limited in mobility, but I really don't want a bottle baby. We're doing asbestos abatement next week then have floor refinishing and so much more. It's a hard time for humans in the house, let alone goat kids. We'll do what it takes to help her! we want her to make it! But I might have to sneak her into a hotel or something insane. Any tips on how to navigate the first days with such a runty one is helpful.
Make sure her temp stays steady. Her being so tiny she will probably have a hard time with that. A x small dog sweater will be good for her. B complex might help to wake up her brain to suckle. Did your doe have BoSe? Selenium also may be needed. You most likely need to tube this wee one though in all honesty. Milk her dam for that colostrum and then for milk as much as you can. After she gets going good the dam may take her but also remember four is a lot for a doe to feed. I would pull the two smallest and bottle them. What breed is your doe? Do the kids have teeth?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Wow, that is small. She definitely needs her temp monitored very closely and a jacket would not be a bad idea.

B Complex for sure. 1/2 cc orally.

Cayenne mixed with a little honey rubbed on her gums.

Milk the doe, colostrum may need to be tubed for the kid, please make sure she gets enough for her body weight! https://thegivinggoathome.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/bottle-feeding-goats.pdf

Definitely would give some selenium, not BoSe, just a gel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...the first few hours she was listless but, like I said, I did get a couple teaspoons of sticky colostrum in her. When I went back out a couple hours later she was perky and walking around- totally different kid! She also seems interested in considering nursing and gets her mouth and tongue positioned with the pipette. Whew.

We got a wool sock coat on her once dried and bonded this morning. Celeste, dam, is accepting her fine. Breed is Nigerian Dwarf. I didn't check for teeth. Are you worried about sharp teeth? We've dealt with that in sheep. Great chart giving goat- it's so helpful!

So, bottle feeding...I'm thinking of pulling the big two and bottle feeding them and watching the smaller two closely to ensure they eat and gain. Then everyone gets milk (including us), but not more than needed. These fast growing bucklings seem so piggish sometimes. What do you think of that idea? Is there an appropriate sized nipple for small breeds with little mouths?

We did not give BoSe. We use a high selenium mineral and don't see deficiency issues. I went out to give the dam some earlier and decided against it. Should I? I have thiamine from the vet, should I give that orally to the doeling? I also have Comeback, lots of herbs, and I can go to the farm store tonight for other supplements.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That is too cool! I've had triplets before but never quads. That's so exciting! Keep posting pictures. Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She died. I just went to check and feed her and mama was laying on her. I think she could have made it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts