Quick Q on something that happened last year `the pickyeater

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Idahodreamer, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

After Sacajawea (my first milking ND doe) had her kids last year, she refused to eat and lost a ton of weight.
    I tried to give her free choice alfalfa pellets, but Daisy ended up being the one eating them as Saca only ate a mouthful then left. I put her on the milk stool three times a day in effort to get her to eat her grain and pellets, however, she refused to eat so mcuh as a few mouthfuls. Her milk production was quite good, however it took alot out of her, ands he had me going insane. ** in case you are wondering, I dried her up**
    I know I'm probably going to run into this again, but any tips on getting does like this to eat? ~

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what a tough question,lots of goats are picky at what they eat, maybe adding something topdress would encourage her? like oatmeal, kelp or beets?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There will be some against this, but try adding some plain old blackstrap molasses to her ration, it's sticky and sweet and will entice her :wink: If you feed 2 cups grain mixed with alfalfa pellets, just add 1/4 cup to start with and mix it well, once she's eating well you can decrease it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Bcomplex shots

Calicium supplements