Quick Question about Milk Replacer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Went to TSC last night for more Save-A-Kid and they are out and they don't know when they will get more. They did have a different kind of replacer. I wasn't sure if it is OK to switch the brands of replacer. I am calling around and not having much luck on finding the Save-A-Kid. I don't have any left now to mix with anything else. If I can't find it can I switch Brands??? He is 6 wks old now and eating hay and grain too. If I do have to switch is there anything I should do or look for?

I searched on here but couldn't find anything about this. I can't believe TSC didn't have this stocked considering the time of year. The girl there asked why I didn't buy all that I needed at once. I guess I should have figured as much. They hardly have anything for goats there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Tummy upset will be the biggest problem. Make sure you have pepto and c,d antitoxin on hand if needed. He may not like the taste if it is different but will get used to it. If you wanted to you could give him some pepto for a day or two to avoid tummy upset, I did that years ago when I bought kids straight off their dam and switched them to replacer and had no problem.

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Thank You. I have plenty of Pepto and he has had his vacinations so he should be ok there. We just didn't want to open a whole new can of worms. I did find a feed store that has several brands of replacer but not the kind we use. I'm going to take the label with me and buy whatever matches or is closest to what we have as far as content goes.

We just moved the little guy out to the barn too this week and he isn't happy with that. When I go out there he stomps his little foot at me and gives a little snort. So he is probably not gonna like the new stuff in the bottle either.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you can't get the save a kid, would it be easier for you to get whole cow milk from the grocery store? If not, I have had people that had bottle babies tell me that the "uni-milk" brand replacer is a good one, I know the TSC here carries that all the time!

5. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    How old is your goat? If he already had his vaccinations, I'm wondering if he's old enough to be weaned instead of switching formulas?? I personally use Land-o-Lake kid replacer - and don't like switching at all.

6. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We ended up with Land O Lakes. It was all we could find. He is 6 wks old and is already on his way to being weaned. Right now he has hay and grain free choice and he is eating it. We are only giving him 16oz of replacer twice a day. So far no scours and he doesn't act as though he has a belly ache or anything. I'm thinking of sprinkling the replacer on his grain for a month or two after I wean him just to keep the calcium up while he is still growing.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Land O Lakes is a good brand. Thats good to hear he is doing well on it so far