The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do babies born in June require heat lamps at night? It's in the 60s here overnight. I can't find any info anywhere. I would think he would be fine without but he was born this evening and still seemed slightly damp- I would hate for him to get chilled.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
I would rub him and stick him in maybe a little coatie. He should be okay. Heat lamps make me nervous -- too many barn fires this year.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
As long as he's out of the wind and wet he should be ok......is he with mamma?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they are in a stall together. My husband put the heat lamp out there, in one corner, tied up securely so it can't be knocked down. It's pretty warm in there, but they have a lot of room to get away from the lamp too if they want. Should they be ok?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well I know that the mom helps keep them warm too........I would say no heat lamp unless it gets colder than 60's. they are pretty hardy......just make sure he's been nursing off mom and getting that colostrum in and they should be just fine:)

·
Super Moderator
31,760 Posts
I agree. as long as he is out of drafts he wont need a heat lamp...mom will lay with him andher body temp will help keep him warm enough..:D

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks a bunch!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Do babies born in June require heat lamps at night? It's in the 60s here overnight. I can't find any info anywhere. I would think he would be fine without but he was born this evening and still seemed slightly damp- I would hate for him to get chilled.
No, they don't. Once his tummy is full he will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.