Quick question about Red Cell

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BlueMoonSpot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. BlueMoonSpot

BlueMoonSpot goat nut

May 11, 2012
    out in the goat field
    My ND doe has had light pinkish eyelids ever since I got her. She is thoroughly dewormed. I've given her two rounds of Red Cell (daily doses for a week) this summer which didn't seem to do any good. Can I just dose her daily until I notice improvement? I can't remember the dosage right now but she weighs about 65 lbs. and I give her between 7.5-8ml.

So, is it safe to give daily doses longer than seven days?

2. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    I have given it to my goats at 6cc per 100lbs, weekly. It has other vitamins and minerals that could be harmful if overdosed.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I wouldn't be giving more than that. It will take awhile for her to come back fully and for her body to recover if she's had quite a worm load and/or been dewormed a lot. Just make sure she's on good quality feed and has lots of minerals available. Some take awhile to regain that color after being wormy and then dewormed.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

You can give her treats of iron bearing foods too. Spinach leaves, parsley, dill, pumkin/squash seeds, etc

5. Iron (and zinc) compete with copper for absorption in a goat. Giving too much easily-absorbed liquid iron from Red Cell might lead to copper deficiency.

6. BlueMoonSpot

BlueMoonSpot goat nut

May 11, 2012
    out in the goat field
    Ok. So, should I try something like a once-per-week Red Cell drench and then iron-rich treats every day, or maybe just the treats? I hear that pumpkin seeds have deworming properties so I'll look into those. I'd read somewhere a while ago that spinach is bad for goats...y'all have fed yours spinach with no problems? I just want to check. =)

7. as long as the wormer does its job and the animal isnt in immediate danger of severe anemia, i think a loose mineral is sufficient to bring them back to full health. we can make things worse by overcorrecting for a problem.

8. 9um9kin seed might have some deworming 9roerty but only when it is raw. I think I would only do the red cell 1 time a week or ta9er to 1x every other week.

9. BlueMoonSpot

BlueMoonSpot goat nut

May 11, 2012
    out in the goat field
    Ok. We have some raw seeds, and I gave Luna a small handful today.
    I will try giving the red cell once a week for a few weeks to see how it goes.
    Does 7 ml for a 65lbs goat sound like a good weekly dosage?

10. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
  11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

BlueMoonSpot.... I've never used Red Cell but this certainly is good info to follow, giving more than should be given can be as detrimental as not giving enough. :thumbup:

12. BlueMoonSpot

BlueMoonSpot goat nut

May 11, 2012
    out in the goat field
    Thanks for the article. :D The goat doesn't have barperpole worms so I'm a bit confused as to why her lids are so pale. She eats and drinks great and acts completely healthy...I hate giving shots, so do I need to do the vit B12 injections? =P I think I will try weekly doses of red cell at that lower dosage and see how things go.

13. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Some goats lids are naturally paler than others. Just thought I'd through that out there. :)