Quick question...baby goat "without horns"

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatygoatsrule, Jul 13, 2010.

1. goatygoatsrule

goatygoatsrule New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    New Jersey
    My doe had 2 kids about 2mths ago, there dwarfs/pygmies well the girl has developed her horns she had them within about a week or two of being born, but the boy still just has nubs. There mother was debudded before we got her, and the father doesnt have horns, we thought debudded but he has nubs like the little boy. Has anybody heard of this before, shouldnt he have horns by now?? thanks!!! :angel2:

:whatgoat:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the father is polled -naturally hornless - then the boy could be as well

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... :thumb: :wink:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yeppers - even my polled myotonic has little "nubbies" but no horns :) So the sire sounds like naturally polled!

5. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Sounds like he's polled. I have two Pygmy crosses that are both polled

6. goatygoatsrule

goatygoatsrule New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the quick reponse guys!! :clap:

So since there polled is there anything special i should know, i did a quick google search, and it recommends that polled not being bred to polled, but polled being bred to normal is that ok...since thats what it looks like happened. (like i said early we thought he was debudded)
    I must say my billy is alot nicer than any other ones ive had and so is the baby boy, very out going and sweet. The billy is alittle shy but other wise a sweet as my girls. (Ive had 2 other billys that were HORRIBLE...i loved them but they didnt seem to return the love :shrug:

(can i say i love the smileys on this site almost as much as the info!! :dance: )

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Polled means that the breeder has one less kid to disbud, some breeders will breed purposely for polled genetics......and 2 polled can be paired together provided that one or the other carries a horned gene from a parent. :wink:

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I agree! :) I breed polled to polled all the time... far less kids to disbud and the bucks tend to be less stinky. :)

9. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

The reason to not breed polled to polled is a hermapradite can occur, but i really is a 1 and a 1000 chance that it will happen.
    I own one, her name is Lucielle :D