quick question for Zeke

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Jun 10, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    This little guy is almost 7 weeks old. He has been treated for cocci twice. THis time with Baycox which is new and I am trying it out. It so far has worked for the other kiddos but his runs were worse then theirs so I have been told it can take up to 3 days for his to return to berries.

I want to make sure I am not forgetting anything, the following is what he has had already

Baycox
    Pepto - 3cc
    Nutri Drench - 3cc

I have lactad ringers but I dont know how much he should get.

He his scours are very runny/watery. I wanted to let the Baycox do its job but I had to give the pepto so he wouldnt get dehydrated.

When I took a kid to the vet last year the vet gave the SQ fluids and Banamine which he said to give for the next 5 days.

Should I give the banamine since his symptoms are exactly as my kid last year.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't think it would hurt, it helps calm the gut, so would probably be a good thing to do.

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok I think i will go and check on him and give him some

he is acting so out of it :(

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, I am sorry the little guy is going thru this, I personally don't have the experience of using the banamine or even the baycox, but if it is something that has worked for you with other goaties, I would give it to him. :hug:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    gave 1/4cc of banamine last night

this morning he had less poo on his backend but it is still runny.

I gave him 6cc of pepto this morning and a couple ccs of Fastrack gel (kind of like probios) as I realized I never gave that to him.

He is a bit perkier today but stil out of it. He is all puffed up like he isnt feeling well and doesnt really like hanging with the herd. He goes after the hay then decides he doesnt want it. I am hoping the Fastrack gel helps him feel better and want to eat. He seems to still be nursing since his mom is very deflated and evenly on both sides and his tommy is fairly full.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    have you gotten a temp?

His immune system may be down.....and may have a fever starting....

So sorry he is sick... :hug:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    would you know I couldnt find my thermometers I have like 5! grrr

Will take a temp on him tonight though.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It's always when... you need something... that you can't find it.. :doh: ...then you go purchase another one....and Bam ....you find all the others... :doh:

..I pray the little one will be OK.... :hug: :pray:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry I wasn't really around last night Stacey, I wasn't feeling so hot myself. :sigh: :hug:

If he isn't looking any better when you get home then I would probably start him on some Pen G. The cocci may have done some damage to his intestines and some infection may be setting in.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point will consider that as I did see some snot draining anyway so his system could be compromised

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    And let us know how the Baycox works, I've heard of it, and am interested in how successful it is with goats.

Hope Zeke gets to feeling better soon!

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh, Stacey I am so sorry your having to deal with this crud.....as you know we have been dealing with it here. I have also been giving my guys Vit C, along with Nutri-drench, probios......anything to pump up their immune system. My vet also had me give my guys baby aspirin 2x's a day once they started running fever.....he only gave them banamine when their fever went to like 105......I was told that baby asprin doesn't work, but it did for my guys...he gave them the banamine at his office....he said it would get the fever down and then 12hrs later start the aspirin and it would keep fevers from spiking again.
    I'll being praying for this little guy to get better soon......this stuff is just awful!

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    didnt see him poo all day today but when I went out this morning he was super perky and his backend is clean. His rear stayed clean all day so far and so I got up the nerve and disbudded him again (he unfortunatly didnt take on his first disbud job - my fault).

So I do believe we are out of the woods.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: that is good news ..........I am so happy for you and Zeke :thumbup:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great news! I hope he is making berries soon!