The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a cyst on my 2yr old boer doe. I treated it as if it was cl and cleared it up. She is in quarinteen because of the cyst. She is due to have kids in the next 2 weeks. I went out today and as I gave her a rubdown I notice she had 2 more lumps that I would assume are the same type but she has not lostt hair on them yet.... I didn't give her antibiotic with the last one should I now? Is she worth keeping? Are her babies going to be ok and be able to feed by her? I am up for suggestion don't worry about hurting my feelings. I have only been doing this for a yr now. I am learning all the time. She was the second doe my son got last yr. Before we know about asking for test results.

Sent from my LGL75C using GoatSpot

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't see the new ones. One is on her neck under her ear on the opposit side of the one that bust and lost hair. Other one is on her neck. I could get a picture of the old one that is healing

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
No it will not help if its cl. What are the plans for the kids?? If breeding stock I would pull them. If they are going to be sold as butcher then I would leave them. Now as for what to do with her if it comes out it is cl is up to you. Do you want to man age it?? But with her haveing a issue with repeat abscesses then I would look at it as her body is not fighting the cl very well. It could be because of the stress of getting ready to kid but if she is going to spend most of her life in a pen by herself that's not very fair to her. Again this is all your call just something to think about.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Sometimes a goat will only pop one abscess. But with yours already having popped one, and working on 2 more, Id say its already turned chronic. And if its that bad on the outside already, she could have them in her lungs and udder. Id kid her, pull the kids and then send her to the sales or butcher. Its only going to get worse IMO. Now, you may want to test all your goats now before she the other abscesses are ready to pop. You maybe looking at a totally infected herd. In which case you have some tough choices to make. Keep em all and manage it the best you can or sell off all the infected ones now and hope you caught it before your farm (ground, fencing, barn) got contaminated and try to get ahead of it and stamp it out before it does.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She was the only one that I have purchased without paper on negative ctd and cl. She was the second goat we got she was only 1 and really wild. Everyone else comes from a closed tested heard. I understand that I should get rid of her. I wasn't excited when I found the other 2 lumps. I have seen pictures of large abscess and hers r no where near that size. I am sure I know what I have to do and it is part of life.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Choosing to minimalism the chance of your other goats having been infected is dangerous. You may very well be correct, but you may not be. And if you sell your animals as CAE/CL free animals, you can no longer do that with certainty. Because this is just how it ususally happens. Someone buys from a "clean" herd and then later they have positive animals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts