Quick Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Hailee's Herd, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I think I have decided that I want to breed at least two of my goats for a summer kidding next year. I want to breed Spicy, my Nubian, but like I said I want a summer kidding so that I am out of school. Do you know if she could be bred in January? Or would she not be in heat? The last time she was in heat was around August 29th. I was reading on the Internet that Nubians only come in heat at certain times and Pygmys do all year.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I believe that Nubians originated in the "tropical" climates the same as ND and Pygmies...I don't think that they will breed year round but they do have a longer breeding season than other standard dairy breeds, so I would guess that she would have heats til at least February or March.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can breed her in January or February --- nubians can cycle into March at times

That will be a very cool experience for you go for it :hi5:

4. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks a lot Liz and Stacey!!! That's good. I really have been wanting to breed them so hopefully everything will turn out OK. I have to start reading around the Kidding Koral area. :)

5. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    So, if I breed Spicy she will be bred to Cody. I wanted to breed to a registered Nubian, but it doesn't matter for a first kidding I guess.
    Spicy + Cody:
    [​IMG] + [​IMG] =

Rosie + either one of these two:
    [​IMG] + [​IMG] =

And if I breed Splash, not sure yet, it would probably be this registered Nubian buck. I wanted to breed Spicy to him but I had forgotten that they had the same dad.
    Splash + Bobby:
    [​IMG] + [​IMG] =

So, do you think the kids will be cute? :)

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    those would make wonderful sires!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I don't think there is such thing as an ugly kid. :wink: They are ALL adorable when they are born. I love Spicy- so elegant.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Your pairing looks very nice! Good luck and happy "goatmomma" waiting!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't think I've ever seen an ugly "long ears" kid or even an ugly mini kid...I might be a wee bit biased here on that one :wink:

You are sure to get some very prettily marked babies out of those pairings.

11. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks; you are right, there is no such thing as an ugly goat kid!! :wink: :)

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Nice choices! I love this saying: I heart Nubians, make mine Mini! It fits perfectly for our herd since we raise Mini-nubians.

13. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    yeah, I really like Mini Nubians too. I really like how they get spotted and stuff but when their ears turn out floppy. :love: