Quick Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shadycreekgoats, Aug 19, 2009.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have a quick question. Would you sell a doe to someone as a companion for a horse, or would you only sell it with another goat? Thanks for any advice! :)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well last week i sold a large goat as a horse companion..but i did tell her everything and she's searching for a second. i just dont think a horse and goat will get that close. :shrug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes and i have done it.... just make sure the horse is not a stallion and that they know they can get another goat from you if she acts lonely. Also she will want to introduce the horse and the goat together to see how the horse reacts. Some horses are agressive while others are very accepting. It can work or it can go really bad.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I really prefer not to, but I have once. I gave away a big human friendly wether to someone who wanted a buddy for their pony...and as a pet for their daughter. I have heard the horse and pony get a long great. I wanted them to let me know how the wether was doing a week or two later so if he was to lonely I would give them another goat, but they said he has settled right in and isn't crying or anythign. I think it depends on the situation though. If I feel good about the people and feel that they are doing their research and understand goats need buddies, whether it be a pony or another goat then I would feel ok doing it again. But if someone wants it to be a friend for my horse and is just going to let it sit out in the pasture and not touch it then I will not sell to them.

5. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    It depends on the goat - I have done it with my own goats in the past - I had a buck and a stallion as buddies once and never had a problem.

I should also say - it depends on the goat AND the horse as I have known people who had horses kill goats (it was a no brainer - it was something that was building up).

I know a few people who have a horse and a goat and it works out GREAT - the goat is very happy and the horse is happy - the horse is the goats best bud. I even know a person who has a goat and a calf and the goat is very happy with the calf as a buddy.

As long as a goat has a friend they are happy - it does not always have to be a goat.

6. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thank you all for the advice!! :hug:

7. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I learned that the expression "get your goat" came about when race horses were given a goat in their stall before the big race to calm them.....so if you wanted to upset your competition you would go get the goat out of the horse's stall, which would upset the horse and affect its race. I had 3 large goats with my horse, but maybe it would be different with only 1 goat :shrug:

8. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Thanks shanzone - you learn something new everyday! :idea: