The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real quick question... I have my does on alfalfa pellets and oats because they are pregnant. First off..they don’t really like alfalfa hay...it’s not common here and they prefer mixed grasses. Anyways. I switched them from their mix I made for them about two weeks ago so the kids wouldn’t be too big. Well, they hate it. They pick are the pellets and eat the oats. They fool around forever. I have feed them with buck. We have feeders..it’s just the way I do it. So, it takes forever to see if they’re going to eat. Mostly they pick and pick and quit. I’m not sure they’re getting enough nutrients now. So..do I switch some of the old feed back? Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh the hay is out all the time...and they do eat a lot of it..but I’m just worried about the nutrients. I put grains in the feeders..but..honestly..they are so used to being fed..they don’t really touch the stuff in there...but... I will put more in there. Should I put about a cup in and see what happens..in addition to what I feed them?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Real quick question... I have my does on alfalfa pellets and oats because they are pregnant. First off..they don't really like alfalfa hay...it's not common here and they prefer mixed grasses. Anyways. I switched them from their mix I made for them about two weeks ago so the kids wouldn't be too big. Well, they hate it. They pick are the pellets and eat the oats. They fool around forever. I have feed them with buck. We have feeders..it's just the way I do it. So, it takes forever to see if they're going to eat. Mostly they pick and pick and quit. I'm not sure they're getting enough nutrients now. So..do I switch some of the old feed back? Thanks!
I thought you said you sold the buck and he was gone......

·
Registered
287 Posts
I switched my goats from wet cob to alfalfa pellets (thanks to the wise people here at the goat spot!). They really didn’t like it at first, it took a while, but now they love it. I feel like I tried so many different ways to get them to like them, I soaked them in molasses, and mixed them with things. They always knew. Eventually I took everything away and left them with straight hay. That was sooooo boring compared to what they were getting! All treats stopped for a few days and then I went in there with a pocket full of alfalfa. I made it seem like I REALLY didn’t want them to eat the pellets, and like it was an accident they ever managed to taste one. After a few sessions of that, they were begging to eat the alfalfa pellets! Of course, this is my own personal experience and may not work for you, I just wanted to let you know how I managed a similar situation.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I switched my goats from wet cob to alfalfa pellets (thanks to the wise people here at the goat spot!). They really didn't like it at first, it took a while, but now they love it. I feel like I tried so many different ways to get them to like them, I soaked them in molasses, and mixed them with things. They always knew. Eventually I took everything away and left them with straight hay. That was sooooo boring compared to what they were getting! All treats stopped for a few days and then I went in there with a pocket full of alfalfa. I made it seem like I REALLY didn't want them to eat the pellets, and like it was an accident they ever managed to taste one. After a few sessions of that, they were begging to eat the alfalfa pellets! Of course, this is my own personal experience and may not work for you, I just wanted to let you know how I managed a similar situation.
No, that sounds great! Last night, after they fiddled around for a good 20 minutes with the buckets..I was tired so I took the rest and put it in their feeders...I took a handful out and showed it to Busty. She came over. Hopefully, with her lead Stormy will follow.

Also...I have the hardest time getting Stormy on my goat stand and many times have to hold the lead with one hand and pick up her bottom...but, once she's up there...and even done. She stays up there...it's so funny..like she wants more food..except she doesn't eat the same food on the floor...so I give it to her up there. Silly goat.:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They ate the pellets in the feeders last night...I was shocked this morning! But, I must’ve gave them too much because they didn’t eat much hay...I think I was trying to make sure they would find it. But, now I don’t need to worry so much...but I’m sure I’ll find something else to worry about...:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts