The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colorado Serum changed the name of their CD&T vaccine. I went on their website to make sure I was about to order the correct thing, and read on the vaccine description to "Use entire contents when first opened."

Is this what everyone does? I had kept my previously used vaccine from vaccinating my bred does, and then had used that same bottle to vaccinate my kids later on. Thought I would use the remaining amount up this fall. Why wouldn't it still be good until the expiration date?

Thanks for your insight.

·
1,524 Posts
I keep the un-used, opened vaccine in the fridge until I need it. I only save it for a year. Not sure if it works or not, but I've never had a case of C/D or tetanus.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
As long as people practice with using fresh needles each time a dose is withdrawn then keeping til the it expires is fine. As long as the refrig stays in the temp range for the vax and nothing germ wise gets into the bottle it is good. So if you drop it in a pile of goat berries while drawing stuff up then that would be a toss it out bottle because even if you wipe the top clean with alcohol it still can have germs on it.

Not many people realize that alcohol needs to be in contact with things for at least 7 minutes to kill anything germ wise.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
As long as people practice with using fresh needles each time a dose is withdrawn then keeping til the it expires is fine. As long as the refrig stays in the temp range for the vax and nothing germ wise gets into the bottle it is good. So if you drop it in a pile of goat berries while drawing stuff up then that would be a toss it out bottle because even if you wipe the top clean with alcohol it still can have germs on it.

Not many people realize that alcohol needs to be in contact with things for at least 7 minutes to kill anything germ wise.
100% right. I called the vet at valley vet and that's what he said. As long as you follow that the only time you need to use all of a vac. Is when its a live virus like the sore mouth vac. A live one after mixing will only be good for so many hours.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
100% right. I called the vet at valley vet and that's what he said. As long as you follow that the only time you need to use all of a vac. Is when its a live virus like the sore mouth vac. A live one after mixing will only be good for so many hours.
True. I do not have any experience with the sore mouth vax (I didn't even know they had one to tell you the truth). Most of the live vaxs I have used are dog and cat vaxs that you normally get in single dose vials. Even when we worked at the vet clinic we still got cases of the single dose vials for use. Mainly for the fact you stated above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts