The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breeding season is here! Lots of my does are in with my buck except for one. She kidded a little later this year, and lactation really got her thin. She's very healthy otherwise. Anyways, I don't want her bred until she's looking better and thicker... So I'm curious, what's the quickest way to increase their BCS?

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,719 Posts
When did the doe kid and how many did she have? How does her FAMANCHA look? Has she had a fecal recently?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you currently feeding her?
Right now she is strictly on hay and pasture.
She had 2 kids back in May. We rehomed one of the kids already and the other one is mostly weaned from her. She is looking slightly better than last month already.
I was debating getting her on some corn and grain ration to help her pick up weight. If she does good I might breed her in December time. Or at worst, I'll wait next year for her.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Right now she is strictly on hay and pasture.
She had 2 kids back in May. We rehomed one of the kids already and the other one is mostly weaned from her. She is looking slightly better than last month already.
I was debating getting her on some corn and grain ration to help her pick up weight. If she does good I might breed her in December time. Or at worst, I'll wait next year for her.
Is the hay good quality and free choice? If she is already improving since last month, she may not need extra grain, but that would definitely help her get in condition faster. BOSS would also help speed up the process, but make sure not to feed too much, only a couple TBS each feeding is needed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the hay good quality and free choice? If she is already improving since last month, she may not need extra grain, but that would definitely help her get in condition faster. BOSS would also help speed up the process, but make sure not to feed too much, only a couple TBS each feeding is needed.
I'm not too sure how to describe the hay, as far as quality. Its thick, green and seems to have a bit of legumes in it? We bought it from the neighbor that raises a bunch of meat cattle.
We ration the hay, about 1-2 flakes per head a day
Is BOSS normally available in feed stores? I don't recall seeing them very often. I'll have to take another look!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Her famancha looks really good. More on the reddish end. I had her copper bolused around July, and dewormed at the same time. She has access to a mineral block too.
Great!! Sound like you're on top of deworming!! I would definitely recommend a loose mineral though, the blocks are too hard for a goats' soft tongue making it really hard for them to get enough minerals.

Are you able to get this kind from TSC? I highly recommend it!! Never had to copper bolus, and my black goats are super shiny! Purina Wind and Rain Storm All Season 7.5 Complete Beef Cattle Mineral, 50 lb.

Reactions: Rascal66

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm not too sure how to describe the hay, as far as quality. Its thick, green and seems to have a bit of legumes in it? We bought it from the neighbor that raises a bunch of meat cattle.
We ration the hay, about 1-2 flakes per head a day
Is BOSS normally available in feed stores? I don't recall seeing them very often. I'll have to take another look!
As long as the hay is not moldy, steamy, and the goats eat it then it should be good!!
What breed is the doe? Most feed stores should carry BOSS, it marketed for birds, but as long as it's just black oil sunflower seeds then it's perfectly fine for goats.

Reactions: Rascal66

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great!! Sound like you're on top of deworming!! I would definitely recommend a loose mineral though, the blocks are too hard for a goats' soft tongue making it really hard for them to get enough minerals.

Are you able to get this kind from TSC? I highly recommend it!! Never had to copper bolus, and my black goats are super shiny! Purina Wind and Rain Storm All Season 7.5 Complete Beef Cattle Mineral, 50 lb.
I used to do loose mineral for the goats, but we recently added sheep to the farm, and she's in with them right now. (Considering sheep are copper sensitive) however, it was also gifted by the in laws, and they all seem to be licking it up. But I'll see if we can return to something loose soon
I love the boluses! Their coats have improved a lot since I've started using them.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I used to do loose mineral for the goats, but we recently added sheep to the farm, and she's in with them right now. (Considering sheep are copper sensitive) however, it was also gifted by the in laws, and they all seem to be licking it up. But I'll see if we can return to something loose soon
I love the boluses! Their coats have improved a lot since I've started using them.
Gotcha! Definitely don't use the mineral I recommend then if your sheep are able to access it. Yes, it would probably be a good idea to get some kind of loose mineral for both the goats and sheep then supplement the goats with whatever their lacking. Glad to hear you love copper boluses!! They are a great idea for your situation!! I have seen some wonderful transformations that they have done, so awesome!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Also since grazing season is coming to an end, you may need to increase the amount of hay you are feeding depending on your other goats' condition. If they are fine then your doe would most likely benefit from grain and BOSS supplemented into her diet. Hope she gets in tip top shape soon so you can breed her! 😊

Reactions: K.B.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as the hay is not moldy, steamy, and the goats eat it then it should be good!!
What breed is the doe? Most feed stores should carry BOSS, it marketed for birds, but as long as it's just black oil sunflower seeds then it's perfectly fine for goats.
Sounds perfect!
They are Kikos! Next time I'm out there I'll look for some 😊 Thanks so much!

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
I definitely agree with BOSS! I've always had better luck improving BCS with fat supplements rather than protein. Protein levels are important for growing and milking, but outside of that their body can only utilize so much. Fat has always worked better for me with both goats and horses. My old horse was toothless and could only eat mash, and had trouble maintaining weight until I tried rice bran and it was like magic. Nothing else worked. Right now I have a doe who was severely underweight a month ago. I started her on Haystack special blend pellets which are hay based but have a moderate amount of fat from rice bran and flax, and she gained 12 lb in the first two weeks. Added a small amount of BOSS and she's up 17 now after another two weeks. Should be up to par by the end of the month. I'm hoping to wean her off the Haystack pellets once she's there since I have to separate her for that, but with BOSS being so concentrated I can just slip her a handful to get extra calories in her. I also added high fat protein tubs (Purina Accuration) for the whole herd when I switched them over to grass hay and the rest are looking good. (And yes, I'm being careful about her total fat.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts