quicky update on my goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Nov 21, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok so I rarely post about my goats and my life with them (well except on my blog - link in my signature)

but anyway I have a few minutes before my brother and I head out to clean out the pen. Last weekend my parents cut down like 20 trees and some of them were only partially alive (most were dead) and the goats love the pine branches but that leaves a ton of now deleafed branches filling up my already small pen. SO these must be removed so I can have my full pen back :)

Trying to get does bred this year has been a struggle. First doe Lola took quite easily but after that its been just one headache after another. I have the pickiest goats ever! Both Sweet Pea and Ziva don't want the bucks i chose for them. Sadie wont stand for the buck no matter who he is. And I'm at my witts end. But last night I think I got one more bred. Today it looks like SP is back into heat though :angry: If I get these girls bred it will be a miracle truly.

Today Lola left for her new home - which actually is her old home. Lola's breeder Lexi and Beth Mariolis sold her to me a couple years ago. Well actually Lexi sold her to me under the protest of her mother Beth. When Beth heard that i might be selling Lola she and I worked out a deal. So I cant wait till Lola kids because all the kids will still belong to me. Im hoping for a doe kid to retain. Lola is an awesome goat structurally but we never got along. I think Lola was sabotaging our relationship in hopes that she could go back to Beth. at every show Lola just LOVES Beth and Beth would be her handler for the show. And even today when Beth started to pet her she just leaned into her and closed her eyes and I thought she would fall over if Beth moved. They certainly have an attachment that boggles the mind. I am very pleased that they get to be back together again :D

Well I am being told my brother is now waiting on me to clear out the pen so I must hop off the computer and go before I loose his help to remove teh big branches. Maybe my camera will work so I can get a couple pictures of the goats and our clearing progress.

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    You know getting does bred seems to be the "issue" of the year....those girls just don't want to breed! Hopefully everyone gets bred this next time around though! :)

That is a cute story about Lola....she sounds like my doe Leilani. That doe would go into a state of depression being without me for too long. :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I really hope they all are a bit more co-operative with you with the next attempt.

I decided to not have Angel bred for next year mainly because I have 3 does and 3 stalls for them....wouldn't you know it but it's been a fight to keep her open! These girls certainly have minds of their own when it comes time to be mama's...or not!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Here's to... praying that your Does will take soon.....must be very frustrating... :hug: :pray:

5. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am right there with you Stacy I noticed my doe due in late March was in heat again today I am kinda over this breeding season. If they don't take on this next time around then they are staying open for a year and that's that which I am not happy about but I need them to be ready to breed next August.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a "scare" with Sadie this morning. She was crying a ton and let me walk right up to her and she just wouldnt leave me a lone and loved that attention. Now I just bought this doe November 1st so I dont know her that well but from my limited time with her she is a bit standoffish. And then she was hanging around the buck. So I thought "great she is in heat" but I never saw her flag or her have any discharge - both of which she had when she was in heat and bred over a week ago. So I watched her for a while and I think she was hanging near the buck so she could get to his hay because she is still afraid of Sweet Pea my herd queen and didnt want to get into it with her at the doe hay feeder. And the crying I think also has to do with this because I usually have hay put out for her but I didnt this morning because I am trying to get her to stand up for herself and eat with the doe herd. Tonight I gave in and let her eat with the buck on the otherside of the fence.

What I do for my goats!!!! So I think the scare was averted and all is well. I am positive Ziva is bred and now just waiting on SP to see if she comes back into heat. Back on Sunday she was acting a bit bucky but then again it could have been herd queen behavior. I tell you these goats are just wacky this year!

SO you all with breeding difficulties dont think I dont feel you pain because I do!

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I really never knew that these goats would be so complicated, and have so many issues and feelings... This is SO MUCH FUN! It's almost like a soap opera.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha -- I should create a spin off of my blog on just the antics of my goats :roll:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Too funny... :ROFL:

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I, too, am having breeding issues... I have 10 females and only 4 have shown any SIGN of heat, one for sure was mounted.. but I am not sure if it took. Another was mounted last month, but she came back in heat about a week ago, HOPEFULLY Sunny did his job this time >.>

Keep in mind, 8 of my females will be their first time.. so yeah... patience... patience...

11. mabeane

mabeane New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Talmadge, Maine
    Never had a problem getting goats bred...but this time around its been very frustrating. This week end we will draw blood and see who actually "took". They have all been hussies month after month! :?