The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you find your kids get quieter with age? I bought a great buckling a little over two months ago, he still screams like it's weaning time ... ugh. He's a good little guy and my sister adores him, so I'm hoping he will quiet down with age? Do you find some of your insecure kids, after weaning, quieted down eventually? At what age approximately? He was born February.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Wow it is great that you still have the patience to own him! Lol ;) Our new purchases usually quiet down after a week.

Who is he penning with? Sometimes they need some goats their own age to feel comfortable with. Then again, some goats are just naturally obnoxious and don't quiet down for a long time.

Since he is buck, when he starts to do his thing, he should forget about attention and focus on his job ;)

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Well I really want to use him, and he's a sweet boy, but a girl only has so much patience to shell out. :laugh: He's penned with a great little buckling, his age. They've bonded beautifully. I think he may just have a pet mentality about himself, and maybe be a bit insecure.

Today after he didn't quiet down, I penned him in his stall and let him cry to his heart's content. When he finished, I went out, praised him, and fed him dinner. Hopefully a time-out now and then will help him learn that crying isn't rewarded.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It depends on the goat, really. I've got a yearling doeling that screams just for the sake of screaming. She used to bring me running thinking she was being eaten alive but, of course, she wasn't. I now know her voice, and I pretty much ignore her when she does it. Then I've got a 4 month old doeling that goes bonkers every time her mother gets out of her sight - she's going to be fun to wean! I guess I'll find out if she quiets down after weaning or not. Some are just natural chatter boxes.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do hope he quiets down. Right now I think it's more asking for attention than anything. We'll see! Of the ones that did quiet down, do you remember when they started doing so?

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, heavens. XD

Well, he is four months now, so we'll give him a few more months and see what happens. :) Beautiful boy, I would hate to sell him.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
:laugh: When I read the title I was thinking "oh... she must have Nubians.." :ROFL: oh....I'm a bad person...

Anyways, my kids never screamed at weaning, I have alpines, don't know if that makes a difference, but mine are always quiet as a mouse :D

I have good, non screamy goats :laugh:

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My other buckling flew in from Alabama, first time away from his herd, and he hardly cried at all. When he did it was a soft, musical little sound. Most of my goats are quiet-natured. But this little boy ... :laugh: He's lucky I love him so much. :rolleyes:

BTW -- your Alpines are stunning. :love:

·
375 Posts
I have the exact same problem! I bought two new buckling this year, one is a sweet quiet boy and the other thinks he's the king of the world! He's four months and still yells for his bottle every time he sees a human... :rolleyes:

Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
www.walshkidsgoats.com
Like us on Facebook!

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WKG, it is so good to know I am not alone! He may have been a bottle baby, I know he was with his dam but he may have been supplemented. So, maybe he just really wants his "baba". ;)

We'll survive this together, lol!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a doe and her year old daughter that yell very loudly. Every time she sees me and thinks it's close to feeding time. Everyone else in the pen are fine and not half as loud. My sister laughs at me and tells me she is glad I have those ones at my house. I am really thinking of moving their pen soon. My LGD are bigger now to protect them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Huh. My goats only call out a little bit when they see me. Though I will say that I wouldn't hear them when I am in the house anyway. They are Alpines.

I think Nubians are stylish, awesome goats, but my boyfriend told me in no uncertain terms that after living next door to a herd of Nubians for a few years, they were the one breed he did not want me to get due to the noise.

I love my Alpines, but Nubians are so pretty and have such rich milk. I would love to have one.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I think Nubians are stylish, awesome goats, but my boyfriend told me in no uncertain terms that after living next door to a herd of Nubians for a few years, they were the one breed he did not want me to get due to the noise.
Now that's funny! I have/had several Nubians in my herd, and they are usually among the quietest ones! :laugh:

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to update -- he quieted down instantly once we added a new buckling to the herd. He already had a buddy, but I think two buddies made him feel more secure. No more yelling. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My 8 month old Nigerian buckling still screams quite a bit. Getting better, but still LOUD.

·
Super Moderator
58,256 Posts
I have found with goats and alpacas that they will do well with 2 but seem to be much better when there are at least 3. I always found it interesting but no idea why unless they just feel more secure with a larger herd.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They may be afraid that if their buddy is to die, they would be left all alone. Either way, it is very good to know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts