Quints? Sextuples?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Mar 4, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

How common is it for does to have 5 and 6 kids. I've heard of it, of course. But this is my first kidding season and I am wondering if it's a regular occurring thing? Have you had a doe kid with 5 or 6?

Asking 'cause Lulla kidded with 5 yesterday!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My Jitterbug's mom just had quints just over a week ago. The smallest one didnt make it though. I hear that being common with goats that the smallest one doesnt always make it out of a litter of 5

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Not very often does it happen (around here anyways). Most common I hear is quadruplets.

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I know of someone with nigerians that had 3 sets of quints born last year! I would say it's rare to have 5 or 6 but definately not impossible. I was hoping that the weather during the breeding time would have a play in it like with some wild animals. Some animals only have a single if it's a harsh year but have multiples during the good years when food is abundant. I haven't been able to see a pattern with goats though so I think I'm going to rule that one out.

5. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I think it depends on the lines the doe comes from. I know of some doe lines that it's pretty common for quints or 6 and others only have one! I don't think the standard breeds have more than 3 or 4 typically. The 5 and 6 I think is more common with the Nigies. I know Tumble is from quints or quads so she has the potential to do that, though she's had three both times. However she does look like she has a whole army in there this time!

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It doesn't happen all that often. Singles, twins, and triplets are most common. I had around 30 does kid last year, 3 sets of quads, 1 set of quints, the rest were singles or twins, and I think I had around 6 sets of trips.

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    It's pretty common for those with Nigerian Dwarfs to have them have 5 or 6-I once had a Nigerian Dwarf give me quad 1st gen mini oberhalis babies. I thought that would be the only time I ever had quads born on the place once I got out of the minis-however surprise, surprise-this year I had one of my does-a 3 year old-give me quad doe kids.

8. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Wow, if this is potentially a line thing...Penny and Lulla are sisters...bum bum bum!!

I sure don't mind the extra work of having 5, but we can totally have normal numbers once in a while too! ;)

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

theres a gal on here that has mini nubians (for the life of me i cant remember her screen name) eliya? Anywho i know its green gables farm or something like that, she has had several sets of quads and a few quints. It seems to be more common in the smaller breeds.
    beth

10. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    If they've been on fairly poor feed and you improve the nutrition just before breeding, you can "flush" a goat or sheep and she'll be more likely to have additional eggs fertilized.

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My NDG Izzy, regularly has quads. But, this year she had quints. We saved them all, but, we have one runt. And I'm bottle feeding the girls and they tiny boy. :GAAH:

12. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    a doe that I purchased from Gerle Ranch here in North Dakota had quints last go round,, thats the reason i bought her... only twins so far here..

13. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I had read in a goat book that I got from the library, that if you had a doe that was a trip, quad or quint and bred her to a buck that was a trip, quad or quint, then you're more likely to have multiples. But there was no study or records listed to back it up... just anecdotal advice, as far as I could tell.

Might be an interesting thing to keep track off, though. Like the poll smelling experiment. ;)

14. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    As far as I know with my doe is was just random I think she was one of twins and as far as I know there's no known relative in her background that has had quads. I just hope she goes to trips or twins next year a least.

15. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Ive only been breeding for a few years, but Ive never had more then three. Then again I bred Nubians and La manchas. So I do think its more common in the smaller breeds. Though I had a Nubian cross [ shes crossed with alpine and boer, so maybe the boer explains it] She had three kids her first kidding, well see what she has this year. Shes a few months away.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I always thought is was interesting how goats have the multiples and only two "spigots" (teats ;)) while cows usually just one and they have four teats! Anyways, just thought it was interesting. . . and kinda funny. :)

17. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I always thought that was weird too...

I have a quick question, do trips, quads and quints have to be bottlefed or can a mom provide enough milk for them all? I guess it's all a case by case basis, but I've only ever heard of people bottlefeeding the babies, so I was just wondering.