The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I made our first attempt at blood drawing to get our does tested for CAE. I have done most of my own vetting for all my animals since I was 12 years old. Vaccinations, worming, nursing through sickness, saving animals that our vet thought didn't have a very good chance.... I've done it all. Except drawing blood. And my "attempt" was a MAJOR FAIL!!! I found the vein, poked it, started getting blood in the tube, then lost it, again and again. My poor doe was so patient, but I finally gave up because I just knew that I would injure her! I grabbed a second goat, only to have the same thing happen. I am discouraged that I will pay a vet's fee to have him draw the blood and then just ship it off myself! Could I be doing something wrong? I watched videos, read the instructions, and still couldn't do it. I know that practice makes perfect, but how much "practice" is my goats going to be able to take?

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
Sounds like my first time..but My goats were not patient!! screamed like I was murdering them, which made me think I was lol.I waited almost a year after that when I finally Had a friend come and show me how to do it..she did four does and I did one..I was so excited I finally did it.....so she left and in 30 minutes I had the rest (11) does all done...this is what she showed me ( I will try to paint a picture) have some one straddle the goat holding her head at a 30 degree...dont over stretch the head..kind of relaxed.. You sit in front of the goat at neck level ( i used a kids chair lol)..Im right handed so I put my left thumb on the vien and my four finger wrap around the neck for support...tap the vien to make it bulge...I used the double needle vile thingy I ordered from biotracking:) ..once the vien was big and plump, I stuck the needle in at an upward almost flat direction (makes it harder to go all the way through the vien that way) so in an upward motion..needle went in..blood began to drip I pushed the vile into the bottom needle...filled 1/2 full, remove your thumb and place where the needle went in and pull needle out as you apply pressure..DONE!!
If you use the syringe and transfer method...everything is the same accept when you get blood you pull it into the sryinge then transfer to red top vile...
sounds like your goats are very forgiving...so take a deep breath...a chug of ice tea and go for it : )

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! I guess I'll try again in a few days- once I get over being traumatized. ;) My goats are fine, didn't even hold a grudge, but it bothered me! Lol. Happybleats, that's exactly how we were doing it, so, at least I know I had the right idea anyway! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
At least you tried and your goats were patient- mine too acted like we were killing them. I did have two with very deep veins that were difficult to do. Relax, watch a video again and try again.
It sounds like Happy bleats is using vacutainers, which I use on people and sometimes animals. For the goats for my first time it was easier with the syringe, but that may change.
If you have someone around you could always have them do one, then watch you as you do them (that's what I did- I've drawn on humans and other animals - BUT these were my goats :) ).

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
It can also help if you clip a the hair off their neck where you want to draw the blood. Makes the vein much easier to see. The only thing with the vacutainers is if you pull the needle out of the goat and still have it in the tube, the tube will lose its suction, so if you go to try again on the same goat you won't get any blood. I always just use a needle and syringe.

Also don't forget to always use a different syringe and needle for all goats. I have heard of people using the same syringe (different needle) and having a bunch of goats come back positive because of the tainted syringe.

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
You can do it...I had needle phobia for ever..if there were needles in a drawer I couldnt open it lol..now I give shots and pull blood...its been a huge change for me..so I can truly say if I can do it...you can do it!!! Relaxing helps..Goats feel our stress..deep viens and viens that roll can be a pain...just go slow, deep breaths..if you can get it from one goat..give her a break do her last..I left lumps in the vien on afew my first time..they didnt die lol..

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did shave their necks, so I could at least SEE the vein, but I was using the vacutainers, and I think it will be easier to go with a syringe next time. At least until I get the hang of it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts