rabbit and chicken questions

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    looking into starting rabbit breeding. i'm interested in it for meat for myself and selling bunnies. i have been reading alot on keeping them. i was thinking:
    new zealand or californian
    hutches in the barn
    make hutches or buy wire cage ones?
    what size for each rabbit?
    what size for nest boxes?
    what would you recommend for a newbie in ohio?

my family raised chickens before but we ordered them in spring, collected eggs in the summer, and butchered them as needed in summer and the rest in winter. i would like a hardy breed that i can keep in winter and broody hens for new chics in spring. what breed do you recommend for ohio? i was thinking:
    black australorp or buckeye
    coop in own cornner of barn
    best size to make the coop boxes?

i'm trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. also does anyone grow or mix there own feed? all help is appreciatted!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if you want rapid growth. new zealands.. they grow soooo fast.. But i love the cals too.

either way on caging you're going to pay a pretty penny. I bought stacked cages with pans to save room and make cleaning easier.. I have about a grand in stackers ( most used/second hand) and thats not including feeders and waterers. but i have 30 cages in a 8 by 8 area with plenty of room to clean and store stuff

NZ and cals are going to need at least a 2 x 21/2 foot cage, a 2x3 or 2x4 for litters/growouts
    nestboxes are HUGE lol.. i dont know the dimensons.. ithink i have one i can measure that we used for our cals

for feed... itsbest to get a pre manufactured feed.. for the minerals and stuff they need.. Ifeed purina, but anything will work. just be ready to use alot :p

3. kubileya

kubileya New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Laurel, DE
    For chickens, both the Buckeye & Australorps are decent dual-purpose birds (the Australorp especially is a wonderful layer), but my favorite by far is the Barred Rock. They are plenty cold hardy, excellent layers and do wonderfully free-range. They are also the fastest growing heritage breed I have raised. You can get a good, fat 4-5lb carcass by 14 weeks of age.

4. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We have quite a menagerie of chickens here...

My favorites are the Buff Orpingtons as they are good layers and docile. They grew at the same pace as our Barred Rocks but weren't as noisy and more pleasant to be around. We butchered 3 of the Barred Rock boys recently and they dressed very nice. The Rhode Island Reds grew at a little slower pace but have ended up being slightly larger than our Barreds.

Besides those breeds we have a White Rock, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Light Brahmas, a Black Cochin, Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes and Patridge Rocks.

What we don't have but I have heard can be great all purpose are the Welsummer, Lakenvelder and Cuckoo Marans.

To feed we use either Blue Seal Organic Grower and Layer but when we can afford to order we get the non-soy organic feed from Countryside Natural Products.

Amika
    Mon Reve Farm - Lower Slower Delaware

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a heritage breed rabbit. They are the American Blue's I love the temperment of them however they don't grow quite as fast as the NZ do. When fully grown they are the same size. I keep them in 24x30" cages that I got from K&D Cages in New Castle IN. I paid $180ish for 4 holes, feeders and water bottles for each hole.