rabbit help

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 19, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    sorry for posting this but I know you guys will be able to help. I have a bunny that is 2 years, never been bred. Female lionhead rabbit. Well they were given to me and I had male and female together for about a month till one of the neighbor kids left the cage open and the male got killed...... :veryangry: so she is very skiddish and I really dont handle her much, but I have noticed that today she is very active, digging allot and she has a towel in with her and she keeps digging at the towel moving it all over her large pen. Should I be expecting baby bunnies? if so I do not have a box for her what else can I use? help!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think the gestation is 28 days...and if you don't have a box she should be fine....you'll notice her pulling fur from under her chin and off her belly to nest with....been years since I had rabbits so hopefully someone who knows more can help.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    do u have a small cardboard box u can put in her cage? I have a friend who raises and shows rabbits for a living and when she has one born on the wire, they usually die...i dont know why. Just like liz said, she will pull hair from her chest area to make a nest....other than that I am not sure what other signs to look for.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if she's not pulling hair she isn't bred. its highly likely that she will never take because shes two and has never been bred, usually you breed the rabbits at 6-9 months

5. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    If she's a first timer, she may not pull any fur at all.. A rabbits first litter can be a hit or miss as she learns what to do.. Some rabbits are excellent moms from the get go.. Give her a box and some hay or grass clippings, but not in the box.. If she starts gathering it up and making a nest in the box, chances are she probably is bred.. If she starts pulling fur and lining the nest, kits are probably eminent.. Also, rabbits usually use one corner for their potty corner.. Note which corner that is and don't put the box there or she might use it as a potty.. Even with kits in it..

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've never had a first timer not pull fur. she could be wanting babies, i have had does build nests and never kindle. but i highly doubt shes bred if shes two

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we used cardboard boxes -- put hay in it and the doe would go in and pull furr sometimes the day of.

I would put a box in there just in case

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well a box is best but if you don't have one make sure you give her a couple of towels or something so the babies aren't born on the bottom of the cage.She should pull fir but I have a couple that haven't with their first litter of kits.Gestation is about one month.Hope this helps. ~sara

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok well she is still kinda digging, I am not seeing her pull fur at all! I am afraid she is not bred, which really upsets me. The lady that I got them from was like oh yeah no problem, put them together and 28 days later you will have babies, and me not having rabbits before I was like oh ok.,,, well did some reading and I doubt she will ever breed... wwhy do people have to lie. Oh well. I will put a box in there anyways and let you know if she does anything!

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha if you want a doe to have babies i have a mini rex doe that was born in late january who is ready.

11. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    just a note also, if (when) she does kid) it may seem she has no interest inthe babies, (she may sit elsewhere in the cage) that is fine, she knows when they need something, I know someone that had a doe that was not paying attention to the sleeping babies the day after they were born so he called an unfit mom and slaughtered her and the kids, very sad, just give her time and lots of food n water extra hay and box, if the babies are on the bottom ofthe cage grab some of the hay or fur then pick up the baby so it does not have your smell on it
    good luck

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    why would smell matter?? i guess if the rabbit isn't tame from handling for maintence i guess, but i've handled every kit i ever had from birth no problem

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A lot of times a doe will reject the bunny because of the human scent. We were always told to keep away from them till they start growing fur.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    wow.. i must have special animals or something.. no rejects or deformities or babies on wire

15. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    we handle all our rabbits daily, with a 10 yr old daughter I imagine they get handle more then they should, we have one doe that when bred she turns more aggressive, she dont attact or such but when she is ready to give birth noone enters her home, not even to feed her, so I have to make sure she has extra food and water for like 48 hours , after she is done she is sweet as pie again.
    also had one doe that dd was checking out the babie, she never touched them just pulled back the fur bed, that nite all the babies were dead and they were like a week old at that time.
    guess some are just more moody then others