rabbit problems

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by AlaskaBoers, Sep 9, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so I have 4 standard rex rabbits...

one doe is by herself
    two jr does are together
    and the jr buck is by himself.

the two does together are losing weight, i looked at them today and was shocked at how skinny they were. the doe alone is fine if not a little fat and the buck is fine. thing is that, theres still food in their feeder, water in their bottle and hay in their box. the other buck and doe finish their food every day and usually about 1/2 of the water, which i refill anyway.

any ideas??

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    how much feed are they getting? both the singles and the doubled pair

whats the protein level in the feed

how old are these jr's

approximate weight

cage size?

you can Facebook me if its easier

3. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Make sure the two are "pooping" - could have a hair blockage so won't eat and will die if that's the problem.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    rex rarely get hair blockages, though its still a possibility. my guess is that they are too busy with each other to eat.. rabbits are solitary animals. I know as a breeder most kits are weaned at 8 weeks from mom, and by 12 weeks are in their own separate cages. though right now i have a pair of kits that is about 12 weeks and living together, but they are cull bunnies because of teeth issues.

some breeds can live together in family units until 4 months, after that, it can become tricky

5. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I used to think that about rabbits being solitary - my sons raised them in 4-H and we had pens everywhere because of that theory. Now we do a traveling petting zoo which meant if I was taking out 3 rabbits that day, I had to have 3 separate pens for the rabbits. Through the years, I've been able to get certain rabbits to live together - I have a Flemish and a dwarf that are best buddies. New Zealand and Harlequin together; 2 Dutch and a lionhead; and my large "stall area" has 2 dwarfs, holland lop, fuzzy lop, jersey wooly, and a Flemish Giant - all together although not always best of friends as 4 were just added on Saturday.

But anyway, you're right about the rex and hairballs - hadn't thought about that. But it doesn't seem right that they would be thin because they're too busy with each other. BTW, I only use females - if they are both males, then maybe they are having issues.

Hope you can figure something out.

6. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    well, should have re-read your post - I see they are both does - so I don't have a clue then - maybe they need to be wormed??

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    it could be that too, but i've had rabbits since i was six and only had to worm one animal once. if you do worm, i'd go homeopathic, then it wouldn't hurt. I think your best bet would be to separate the girls, especially if they are up in the 4-6 month range

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    have no idea of age, I got them free and no idea on how old they are, but definetly under 6months, maybe 4 months.

Theyre being fed MannaPro PRO Rabbit feed. it's probably 16%

I think I'll just separate them...what kind of womrer would you use?

9. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    are you giving them any hay? I try to make the rabbit pellets as their main staple, but a handful of hay can help digestion.
    I use ivermectrin (same as for goats); also panacur liquid is good to use. Usually worms don't make them that thin, but it will affect their overall condition.
    Rabbits can get coccidia too.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep, they get the same hay as the goats, some very nice timothy.

I'm separating them tonight, hopefully I'll see some improvement :(

thanks guys :hug:

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    how heavy are they approximately katrina?? you could possibly be feeding them too much. I don't like to worm the rabbits at all! though i've been looking into a homeopathic wormer you add to water.. i'll find out more and pm it.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok went to weigh and the scale is off, I'd say about 3lbs. maybe less. the one by herself is probably 4-5lbs.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    are these standard rex or mini rex?

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    pm'd you, thanks for the info!

all standards.

after I separated them, they look a little better, hopefully they will be growing and gaining again. :hug:

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hope they start to bloom for you!! if you need any bunny wisdom, let me know... i've got the hookups

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    SDK ...you are so sweet ...helping Katrina..... :hug: I am glad... she has someone... that knows the bunny wabbits.... :greengrin: :thumbup: