The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into indoor pet options. I discovered the rabbit, and it seems like it could be a fit. I want a pet that I can bond with, that will get most of its attention in the mornings and evenings. It will live in a large play pen in my room/office. When I'm in there writing and drawing, I will let it out. I'll also let it outside to walk.

I know there are rabbit owners here, so do you have any hints, tips? Any advice on signs a rabbit may or may not be a good fit for me? I never like rushing into a pet purchase.

Thanks! :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I think a rabbit would be perfect :) I had a holland lop when I was younger, she was the best rabbit I ever had! We would play tag, hide and seek (no joke! She was an AWESOME rabbit!) she loved to just hop around my room, one day she found out how to open her cage (I must not have latched it right..) and she got out and hopped on my bed and laid with me :)

Any way lol! I think if you find the right one, and bond with it from the time it's little you will have a perfect indoor pet :)

What kind are you looking at getting? We had/have New Zealand Whites, they are really good too :) love to cuddle :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Oh, and we have a litter due sometime this month...I forget the date off the top of my head... Lol! But we do keep then for about two-three months before selling/separating from momma if your interested ;)
They go for about $15 most times as they are mixed breeds ;)

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I have seven Brood French Lops. BUT, only one is tame. They are a lot like goats. You have to know how to handle them before you get them. I know some rabbits are super sweet from the time you get them, some are just a lost hope. You need to buy one that is a retired breeder or a baby that is tame. Or you can't expect your rabbit to be perfect. Here are some pics. First is of my arm scratched by one of my 4 pound babies. Second is how great of a pet one of my babies made.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Unfortunately I have never had rabbits as pets, but I know several people who have, and they loved it!!
I hear they are very easy to housebreak, which is a definite bonus!!
Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide. :D

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Make sure the rabbit is spayed or neutered. They make great housepets. Had them for years. House Rabbit Society has plenty of good tips. You could even see if there is a House Rabbit Society chapter in your area. They have rabbits for adoption that will already be spayed or neutered and will be honest about the friendliness and everything.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. I'd definately be looking for a pair of snugglers (I'd be getting two to keep each other company).

Ohhhh, Skyla! :laugh: You're bad! I'm not ready to get them quite yet, but once I have a more stable income, I know where I'll be looking. ;)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Hehe!! :D I know! LOL!

Well we have about two litters a year ;) a spring litter and a summer litter ;) lol!!

Just look at how cute! ;) lol!

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think I'll be buying a human baby, Skyla, too much work. ;D

I will check out HRS, Karen, thank you!

Skyla, are your rabbits raised as pets?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
ROFL!! I just didn't know how they were showing up.. It's a baby (my little cousin) for me.. Is it baby bunnies for you?

Some of them, yes. Others we raise for meat, though they are all loved on and cuddled till the end :)

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Rabbits make great cute snuggly pets! Netherland dwarf would be my breed of choice, since they eat so little and are so stinking CUTE. We joke that the breed started when somebody made a clay rabbit, accidentally smashed its nose in, and then left it that way because it was cute. Then the clay rabbit was magically turned into a real one.
The breed is reported to be kind of wild, but that just isn't so anymore. It's been bred out of them (though you should still be sure any rabbit you get is tame).
About pet rabbits in general...they're active and curious, but not very smart, so don't expect a little dog. They're entertaining - and tops for cuddling! - but not good for much more, LOL. Unless you get an angora (but those are more difficult to care for).

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
My sis has a holland lop. Confidentially, I think it's a bit boring as a pet, but she loves it! I'm more of a cat or dog person myself. :)

·
558 Posts
Before we fixed up our barn we had rabbits that lived in cages in our finished basement (we let them out to play everyday of course). We never were able to get them to use a litter box, but they did go in the same corner of their cage. I HATED cleaning the tray under the cage. Super gross and not real easy.
So in my opinion, I like them better outside.....

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will probably litter train as the reason I want a little pet is for it to keep me company as I'm writing and drawing in my office. :) Is there a smarter breed? I'm okay with sweet and dumb, haha ;) And I don't mind long hair.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I sold three babies to a lady once. She got them almost all the way litter trained in less than a month. And, they were only 3 months old.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts