Rabies vaccine?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi All,

I have been reading through old threads about rabies and not getting the answer I am looking for so going to ask....

There has been a case of a rabid fox in my town. We never had a problem with Rabies since I have had goats here, so I never vaccinated them against rabies. I have 6 goats ranging from 6months to 2yrs. I have a vet friend who can give the vaccine, but she does small animal so wouldn't have a large animal rabies vaccine. I found online that Imrab was ok for goats because it was listed for sheep but is that the only one? It's somewhat expensive and hard to come by from where I have been looking. Would any rabies vaccine approved for sheep be ok? I know I could ask a large animal vet in the area, but they have been tough to get out and it would cost me a lot of money. I will certainly spend it if I have to, but if I can save some, I have to try. I love my little herd more than words so I am scared for them now that rabies is in town.

Thanks so much!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We have rabies in Ohio and I have never vaccinated my goats. I would think one approved for sheep should be ok for goats.

3. Scmtngirl

Scmtngirl New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Aiken SC
    Honestly never thought about the difference but I'm new at this

4. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    There isn't one for goats
    The sheep vaccine is the only.option really

5. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    My vet (exotics, not large animal) gave the dog and cat one, whichever it is. I haven't followed up since switching to a large animal vet but I've been meaning to bring it up at an appointment.

6. slackwater

slackwater Member

Jul 24, 2015
    My vet does large and small animals. They get one rabies vaccine (Merial Imrab). Small animals get 1cc, livestock gets 2cc. I vaccinate all goats 6mos and older annually.