radio collars for goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by newtogoats, Oct 14, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    My dog Stella has one of those electric fence/radio collars, it's been very successful for her. I was wondering, when goats are big enough (at least 30lbs), has anyone ever tried this? I know it wouldn't keep predators out, so is no substitute for a real fence, but if you wanted to let them roam a bit under some supervision, it might keep them in an area. Anyone?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You know - I think it would probobly work on some goats - but maybe not on all. I have a few that I think are a few brain cells deficient and everyday is a whole new day for them.

I would be curious to see what others say!

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have thought the same thing.

I do not think they would work because goat can not be trained quite like dogs. That is my opinion. OK, maybe it is my goats that are not trainable.

4. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I was wondering about the physical effects on them (esp nigerians and other minis) compared to the electric fencing that people use. One advantage of the collar is that they get a beeping before any shock, if they were "trainable", they wouldn't need to get a shock, eventually...you couldn't entice my dog near the boundary with a steak! I know goats are different, but if any electric fence works, shouldn't this? Just as long as it wouldn't harm them. With dogs, they do have to be over 30lbs.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My Electric is a kick you on your bum fence if your grounded. The couple day old kids touch it and they are fine. I really hate when they do. But they have never had any ill effects from it. So I don't think the dog collar would hurt your goats.

Now I had one goat who would touch the electric every single day and be soooo surprised by it. So I would be selective in who you put the collar on. lol

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I guess I'm not quite the only one, in back of the house we have electric wire running along the inside of all the pasture, we have our buck and wether out there, well one day we were putting them back in after they had gotten out because theres a section without electric wire they knocked down, anyway, we got them in, and they started standing against the electric wire, rubbing against it, and my dad started yelling about how we need to make sure theres no sticks or grass touching the electric wire to short it out, and I told him that there wasn't, and that the goats like beings shocked, but he wouldn't believe me, so I told him to touch the wire to see for himself, and he wouldn't so I did, and i got shocked, its not a weak shock, its actually pretty powerful. But it sure made my dad mad. Lol, he doesn't want them out eating the apple trees. But its proof that some goats like it, but as for our does, we had them out there and they touched it once, and wouldn't go near it at all after that.

7. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    I've also considered this, but not sure how the training works. I do know if you have to leave the collar on for any length of time unsupervised, our other goats would chew the collar off, or at least chew up the receiver box on it.

8. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Really? They chew things on each other, like collars or bells? Is it part of a grooming behavior or just chewing stuff?

9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi,

Ours have taken other goats collars off before especially when we first put them on the goats.

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We have raised our goats in collars, within the first week of birth we'll have a collar on em just so they get used to it, and sometimes we'll add a bell. We've never had problems with them eating collars off.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I would wonder if it would work only because I know that when fencing you need more wire that you would with some other animals.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine have always worn collars with bells.....I mostly have let them "roam free" throughout the yard and property...it helps me to know where they are when I can't see them, the only ones without collars are my boys, all but 2 of my goats have horns and though they do "spar" with each other I'd rather be safe than sorry when the boys fight over a girl....I think goats need a "visible" border....even after mine got used to the electric fence, they would still walk into it when I approached...they couldn't "see" the smooth wire....I put orange plastic surveyor flags on the third wire between each fence post and they no longer tried to walk thru it....so I don't know if the receiver collars for an "invisible" fence would work out.. :shrug:

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, they'd probably be so busy grazing to realize where they should stop before its already too late :ROFL:

14. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    So from reading the posts I'm thinking that the voltage from the radio fence is far lower than from an electric fence (are the wired electric fence settings adjustable at all?). The one we have gives warning beeps first (do goats have good hearing?) and then deliverers progressively stronger shocks, but nothing that should knock anyone out or hurt them, it even has a time out as a safety, so they don't get "stuck" there and get overdosed. You do have to train them to it gradually. So I probably won't count on it working, but might try it for when they're browsing around , since I have a collar already (Stella's doesn't even need to use hers any more) and it would be interesting to see if they would take to the training. So thanks to everyone for the feedback, I'm just trying to work out the details for when it happen... :shrug: :wink: