Railway ties

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by peggy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Has anyone used railway ties for building?? Would they bother the goats??

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I would not think they would be good, they have creasote in them.....I wouldn't want the goats chewing at them.....my guys chew at the side of their barn.

3. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Plus they are very heavy to deal with... OOOOHHHH my back.

Tom

4. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    we used some on our pens but they have crack so don't think we will be finishing our outdoor pen with them they didnt stand up to being hammered on very well which was a little strange considering how heavy they are.

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Railroad ties, historically, have been treated w/a toxic stew of preservatives, pesticides and anti-fungals to prevent rot. A common by-product is dioxin, which is known to cause all kinds of health problems including cancer, birth defects and chronic toxicity. Some families made the mistake of using railroad ties for landscaping and backyard playgrounds and said exposure has been linked to a wide variety of health and learning problems. Knowing how goats like to chew, nibble and rub, I would definately avoid exposing mine to railroad ties, period.

Deb Mc

6. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    If you can get them for free...and you can handle them. They might be worth a try. But if you are going to buy them... it would not be worth the price. There are much cheaper alternatives out there.

Remember, you are not housing bison, just goats.

I am a grown man and my wife suggested them...my back hurts just thinking about it.

Good luck.

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it. I never thought about it this way. So I will pass on this idea.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...they aren't good.... :thumb:

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    We have a bunch of old railroad ties on the property that we have used for corner fencing and gate braces, but make sure we put the RR tie on the outisde of the fence so the goats cannot chew on them. Haven't seemed to have an issue yet, but definitely wouldn't use them in an area where the goats could chew or climb on them.

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We have some that outline our parking space and driveway. They crack really bad and I agree with the others, i wouldn't build with them.