Rain Please!?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sealawyer, Jul 5, 2009.

1. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    I'm sitting here with two tabs open. One is on my groups communicating with my Goat Raising Friends. On the other tab I have the Weather Channel interactive radar looking and praying that some of the rain falls at the rancho. It has been so dry that I have a whole passel of 2 month olds that have never seen rain before! :pray: :pray: :pray:

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow 2months w/o rain?!

hope it comes

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I pray the skies open up for you very soon! :pray: Seems that you can't find a happy medium there can you? Wasn't it about 2 years ago that you were all about flooded?

It seems that it has rained daily here for the last 2 weeks...odd too as most have been scattered showers, I left work Friday afternoon in a downpour, drove 2 miles down the road and it was clear as a bell and dry as a bone! Even with the rainfall, my well is low so it's been a month now of 1 load of laundry every 2 days, water saver on the shower head set to a fine mist and filling water buckets on the days when the washer isn't used, then those 5 gallon buckets sit in the cool basement with lids on them to keep it fresh and cool for the goaties, using paper plates to cut back on the dishes needing washed etc. It's wierd how the amount of rain we get here has no bearing on the water table our well is drilled into, a friend of ours drills water wells for a living and he has told us that the more rain there is to the north of us the better our water level will be :shrug:

6. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Gwen got back from Church about an hour ago. We got 1/2 inch this evening! Hopefully we will get more tomorrow, Good Lord willing!

I have been threatening to have a deep well drilled and set up an irrigation system on about 50 acres of open pasture. A friend has about of 40 acres irrigated and has had his 3rd cutting of hay. Is there any way to store the rainwater? Set up some cisterns? Folks down here do it for garden and raw water needs, some even filter and treat the water for human consumption. All of our options include hard work and money, don't they?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A cistern can really help you with useable water.....Years ago I remember my grandad digging and pouring concrete by hand to make a solid cistern, it was the only water used in the house...now mind you the only "plumbing" was a kitchen sink and no hot water heater either, he would attach a rain gutter to a stub of 8 inch pvc that he had placed in the concrete cover and any water would run into it, he then had a pipe run from the bottom of the cistern to the basement of the house and when water was need he would go down and plug in the pump and water would come out of the faucet. Water for drinking was boiled on the stove and put in the fridge, he used an old wringer washer and would fill that with water from his rain barrel set at the corner of the house, water from the washer was used to water his garden. O and up til 2001 when he passed away, there was still no bathroom in the house! Though I can say the outhouse at my grandads was the prettiest one ever! Always whitewashed and kept very clean.

Alot of work, yes, usable water, yes and a very good investment that will last years and ensure that your property stays healthy and green when drought is a problem.

8. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Yes, as easy as it is to get plastic drums fairly inexpensively a rainwater collection system wouldn't be that hard to manage. The possibilities are promising, as we agree it just takes some hard work!

9. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    OK, I have been crying like a little baby and I deserve any comments that you all direct my way! :mecry:
    Gwen called this evening as I am tugboatin'.
    We got 3 3/4 inches of rain yesterday and today!
    What a relief! :leap:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sometimes it takes a little bit of venting to get what is desperately needed! Hoping that a bit more is on it's way for you.