The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Central New York and we have had rain everyday... EVERYDAY! It's been horrible. Roads and bridges have closed. Most homeowner's basements are flooded... including mine. My basement has never been flooded so we never expected this!
I put my goats out to pasture after morning feeding.. but I have not been able to. A few days ago we had the sun peak through and it stopped raining for about an hour.. so I put my goats out since they have been cooped up in their stalls in the barn. Well, then it started raining again and they were bleating to come in.. all of them waiting at the gate to come in.
My goats DO NOT like to be in the rain.
Those of you affected by the rain.. how have you and your goats been dealing with the rain?? I think along the whole east coast has been affected...?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Our barn is wetter than I like it to be and they haven't gone outside in a couple of days. I leave the door open for fresh air, but that's about all. The goats seem to be handling it well enough but eating a lot of hay. If it doesn't stop, I'll be building little sleeping platforms tomorrow.

The ducks however have been having the time of their lives.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You can send some of your rain back west. :) We have all our hay baled and off the field, just need rain to make the grass grow so we get a second cutting.

I'm sure it will stop raining soon, but it is miserable for the goats (and you!). Mine always hate it when it rains, they can't go outside, even though they try. I usually have to clean their barn twice a day to keep it from getting too dirty/wet for them to lay down. I also lay down plenty of bedding and feed them a lot of hay.

I would keep a close eye on temps and noses. When it is rainy and wet is often when goats will get pneumonia.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I might hate you guys. I agree send it this way, heck Im not picky it doesnt have to make anything grow, just settle the dust and make it not so easy for these dang fires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jessica84.. where are? Assuming out west? Are you in a drought? I think it's hard to deal with both, when you desperately need rain and when you have too much. I love rain.. when we need it and when it does not cause stress with the farmers around here or by flooding. The farmers that do hay around here are twirling their thumbs... cuz they can't go out in the feild. I have gone through more hay feeding the goats since they have not been going outside. I ordered hay and can't get it delivered because it will get all wet. So... I had to put a tarp in the truck and get a few bales at a time to protect from the rain. Jessica84, I hope you get some rain.. it's hard when everything is too dry.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I hate this rain.. :( I just want it gone! :( we need hay and some people haven't been able to get 1st cut cut or baled! Urg!

·
1,524 Posts
Flooded here, torrential downpour most of the night and day. The horse, goat and chicken areas are a swamp. The horses don't seem to mind and still go out. I had to start haying the goats inside, using the hay racks that they can easily pull hay out and waste...grrrrrr....but they will go outside inbetween torrential downpours when its just sort of misting. I don't feed them any more when they are inside than when the weather is nice. If they are that bored, they can start eating the hay they have dumped onto the floor. I had taken the kids off of medicated feed because it had been so dry. I have them back on it now, because i think cocci will be a problem with the mud and warm dampness.

All the buckets I have out to catch rain water (the 20 gallon ones) are better than 1/2 full from the rain we have had the past 3 days.

The forecast is calling for rain for the next week. Weeds are up to my armpits, my basement is flooded and the sump pumps are going full steam. My wooly sled dogs smell like wet wool. My house is so full of dried mud from dog feet that I could probably start an indoor grow.

My arthritis joints are killing me!

My hay guys fields had not dried enough form the last bought with rain, so he hasn't gotten a first cutting yet. Loks like it won't be done until mid July, if it ever stops raining.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
We too are getting sick of the rain...I normally can keep the smell non existent here but it's getting harder with all the damp conditions. The geese and ducks are having the time of their lives here too! :p ; but the goats are not impressed, nor are the dogs,cats, chickens, or people! The weeds are growing like mad, and there is not enough dry weather to mow or weed eat...the rivers, streams and ponds are getting full up and we will be flooding out soon.
We have found a lot of drainage issues and corrected them so it is trying to drain out, but the ground here is completely saturated.
One good thing~we put down grass seed this year and have only had to water it once^-^

Here's hoping the rain goes to y'all where it's needed....we can spare it, for sure!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Backyard farming,we are in way upstate ny,and it had been very wet here,and more rai. In the forecast ,we are a out an hour north of Utica ny,hope it drys out soon,I have calf hutches outside in the pastures so they can get in out of the rain ,work good ,good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
Lots of rain and humidity in Ohio (YUCK)!! Muddy mess around my place. I hope it quits soon but it looks like they are calling for rain all next week! Not sure what to do about all the mud. Thinking about getting some gravel to see if it helps. Anyone use gravel around your goat enclosures/barns?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I will take some of your rain! Here in Nor Cal, it was 110F today and it's only supposed to get hotter. Even though just three days ago it was raining and barely 70F, which is really weird for our area. :chin: I hope the rain stops for you and your goats soon! I hate it when everything gets soaked, it must really be a pain for you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts