The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one momma kids twins Monday night and I have another momma her bag has been filling all day and she is pretty much gonna kid tonight or early morning. One problem we have had so much rain we are flooded and muddy my kidding stall is occupied and half mud I have no where else to put her unless they both share the kidding stall.. Any ideas I have a dog kennel behind my house I could take the dog out and bring her up there it does not get as wet but she would be alone.Help! I lost I don't know the best thing to do..will the mommas be ok together?

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I had one momma kids twins Monday night and I have another momma her bag has been filling all day and she is pretty much gonna kid tonight or early morning. One problem we have had so much rain we are flooded and muddy my kidding stall is occupied and half mud I have no where else to put her unless they both share the kidding stall.. Any ideas I have a dog kennel behind my house I could take the dog out and bring her up there it does not get as wet but she would be alone.Help! I lost I don't know the best thing to do..will the mommas be ok together?
Can you divide the kidding pen into two somehow? And just add a ton of old hay, shavings, hay... anything to keep the mud at bay? Pallets with a ton of hay on them. Or a pallet on bottom then a piece of flat solid board atop that then a ton of hay.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wouldn't have them together right away. Sometimes mamas can be mean toward babies that aren't theirs. Can you move new mom somewhere else and put the one about to kid in the stall? Or build up the floor enough to get it out of the water?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We worked in the rain getting it drained Tuesday night..so all the water is out it's just squishy I did think about partly dividing the stall.. will try to figure it's out her ligs are completely gone this morning so I gotta watch close the rest of the shelter is very muddy.. I have wood chips I have been using this is so stressful on them and me they HATE getting there feet wet and muddy lol

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
if you have pallets, might lay them down..pack the slats with hay really tight then lay bedding nice and thick...this will get them off the mud and keep them dry.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ugh I had this happen last year. Went out and half my stalls were flooded. What I did after draining was put down a bunch of feed sacks (a old tarp would work too) and then I put down some shavings and then straw. If felt weird to stand on but it kept everyone dry.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Another thing I have seen folk do is make raised floors..enough space between dirt and sub floor so air can help keep things dry. Putting wire around the bottom half to prevent babies from getting under it.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Yes..i took pallets and screwed plywood 1/2 thick to it. Then added straw. It worked very well for me. Better than the wet cold earth. Plus I used a heat lamp hanging from the ceiling. Didnt need it any closer because it warmed the board under the straw. I have some dry spoiled kidds! :clapping:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts