The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old mini lamancha doeling that i got 2 months ago and bottle raised. well when I was at the farm I got her from I saw a doeling that had a bare patch on her nose, I asked the lady what it was and she said rain rot, and that they treated it with listerine.

Well now my doeling that I got from that farm has a similar bare patch on her side, it looks like dandruff in that patch. I have seen horses with rain rot and this looks different.

Does anyone here know what it could be and how to treat it?

I cant get pics to load on here so I put the pics on my website here -
http://www.dancinghoovesfarm.com/health.html

The first pic is just looking at the spot, and the other one I pulled the hair back so you could see it better.

Thanks
kat

·
570 Posts
It could be mites/ lice I know we had mites/ lice once and they got bare spots with dry skin started off little at first and grew

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, she has had it for 2-4 weeks now and it hasn't spread. But if it is mites/lice how do I get rid of them?

·
570 Posts
We used ivomectin I believe we put some on the coat and gave them some

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I read somewhere that shaving them can help get rid of mites/lice as it exposes them to the sun, do you know if that works? I can shave her as I shave all my goats every year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it is rain rot then an iodine wash will work, twice a day for a week. You may also hit her with some Ivomec as well. If she has mites you will be able to see them and the ivomec will kill them. I'm not sure if shaving them will kill the mites but it will allow you to see how bad the infestation is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts