Rain with some wind and temperature is 12°C/54°F

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hasankhurshid29, Nov 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 Active Member

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Today night we are experiencing some light rain with temperatures hitting as low as 54°F. Will I have to take any special care for my does?
    They have a sheet on their heads. So rain is noy hitting them directly.
    This is the first winter rain with some good wind.
    My location is Karachi, Pakistan
    Screenshots are all in °C
    Screenshot_20201124-231448.png Screenshot_20201124-231516.png

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Is their ground dry? Are they sleeping off the ground? Is the rain getting under the tarp?

happybleats likes this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

That temperature is no issue. They should absolutely not get wet though. At that temp, I wouldn't worry about the wind either as long as it isn't blowing rain on them. Does it get much colder where you are? 30s-40s Fahrenheit I would start to look into a way to make a wind block.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    They are getting somewhat wet because rain is getting under the tarp. @Tanya
    It doesn't go below 50 here even in december and january. Currently its 62 and real feel is 57.

5. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Some places are wet and some are purely dry but the one doe is not letting other doe in the dry area.

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You must try stop them from getting wet. It can give them pneumoniae and then they go down quickly. Try also let them sleep off the wet ground.

7. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    The rain has stopped now. And we don't get too much rain here in winters.
    One doe is sitting down in a dry place. Other doe is standing near her but she is used to sleep on marble floor. So maybe she will take sometime to sit on the soil next to the other doe.
    Are these temps enough to cause pnemoniae if goats are little wet?

8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Yes. Any wetness and no heat to dry with can make a goat ill. I understand that resources are difficult but maybe try get some hay to line the floor with. It helps keep their body temperatures up. Goats cannot stand the whole time so maybe the one that is standing will eventually lie down. Every country has a different way of treating their herds. But a basic thing to help your goats is to try lift them off the ground at night. I put down two boxes made of wood and a hay bale for mine because they dont always sleep in the kennel built for them. But on cool, cold or wet night's they do like a more solkd cover away from wet. Not judging you at all.

9. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    I understand that. But we don't have wet or snowy winters here. So we don't worry that much about rain and doesn't prepare for rain. Currently both are sitting in a dry patch of soil close to each other but not too close. And only wind is blowing. No rain.
    I am also feeding them 0.5 kg grains (rolled oats and rolled wheats) in evening to keep them warm throughout night.

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You are doing good. Our winters.here sre like yours. I just learnt that my goats dont share well and really dpnt like getting wet. Try it. Especially with unexpected weather. You will see a difference.

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

12. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    I will try to get something to lift them up in night.
    Just checked your weather. It is very much similar to us. You will be getting some good amount of rain in next of couple of days. I want to know how will you prepare for it?
    Also what you usually feed them?

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    They need hay to stay warm, not just feedstuffs.

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Hasankhurshid29 yes. It is our rainy season now. My two goats have a steele structure and a brick shelter inside big enough for both of them. As well as hay bales and boxes. There is alot of straw and hay on the ground so when it rains the mud and water is not near them. In the really bad thunder storms they sleep in the brick shelter.
    If they cannot browse I feed them fresh cut vegetables, onion and garlic with sweetfeed for breakfast. Lunch they get sweetfeed. And at dinner some fruit for treats with beet pulp and pumpkin.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan

So from last week we are taking the goats out in direct sun because the place where they are all the time don't receive good sunlight. And the nights are cold so that's why we took them out. But today we took them out at noon (max sunlight) earlier than other days. And they looks to me they are panting. The video only shows one but the other one is also panting similarly. Why is that?
    @toth boer goats
    @Tanya
    @Moers kiko boars
    @NigerianDwarfOwner707
    @MellonFriend

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

They are just like dogs. They pant andvecpel heat through their mouths. Ensure there is water and some shade they can move to if it becomes too hot.

18. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    We only take them out for 2 - 3 hours max so no water and food. And secondly we don't want to give them shade because it will defeat our purpose of giving them some sunlight as the other area where they live all the time does not gets proper sunlight.

19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I understand. They are ok. It doesnt look like they are in distress.

20. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Ok I took them in and they drink a good amount of water. I think I should not take them out for more than 2 hours especially if the sunlight is of noon.