The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all. I got what seems like a simple idea to diversify but I must be overlooking something. Hoping you guys could offer some insight and flag possible pitfalls of such a business model.

What are the pros and cons of running a profit-oriented ($40,000-70,000 per year) goat operation with a herd comprised of Kikos and Angoras? I don't mean to crossbreed them but to have an operation, a profitable business, with two markets in mind: meat and fibre.

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge!

·
Super Moderator
58,392 Posts
What size herd are you thinking? Have you looked into meat and fiber prices in your area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What size herd are you thinking? Have you looked into meat and fiber prices in your area?
Thinking about 150 head as a start, with the goal of increasing that to 300.

I have researched meat prices quite a bit, mostly through the economic data reported by USDA and Oklahoma State University. Based on that info and assuming about a 160% reproduction rate, a herd of 200-300 *should* bring in a humble but liveable annual income. I understand there are a lot of other factors that could come into play with that assumption but it's what I'm working from. I'd be very appreciative for any financial advice from those who've succeeded - or those who've failed!

Fibre is something I've only started to consider recently after reading a USDA report that said 60% of goat producers with ten or more years experience focus solely on fibre goats. (This was a large percentage in relation to other avenues: dairy, meat, breeding stock, etc.) I reckon that the experienced producers know best how to make a profit and keep a simple, cost effective operation, which is why I started to research fibre goats. Fibre seems much more complicated than a meat operation but, as with any value added commodity, it seems there's a higher profit margin if done right. I have tons of questions about how to best make profit from the fibre but I'll save those questions for another thread. (And will search older threads for advice already provided.)

I'm inexperienced but have been plotting a career change for years now, researching how to make a profit with goats. My intention for this thread is to see what you experienced producers think about an operation that raises goats with two markets in mind, the meat and fibre markets. From an operational perspective, would it be wise/efficient/cost effective to raise, say, Angora and Kiko side by side (of course separating them at breeding times, not running bucks with the does, not crossbreeding)? From a financial perspective, is focusing on two different markets feasible? Would such diversification make financial sense? What would be the pros and cons of such an operation?

Thanks, all! Sorry for being so long-winded.

- Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everybody,

Let's talk diversification. My intention for this thread is to see what experienced producers think are the best ways to diversify and keep the money coming in steadily throughout the year.

I'm inexperienced but have been plotting a career change for years now, researching how to make a profit with goats. I've been considering an operation, roughly 250 head, that focuses on both meat and fibre. By that I mean meat goats (the majority) running alongside fibre goats. Not crossbreeding them though, of course. My idea is that the sale of the fibre, sheared and milled, could bring in money when it's off season for selling meat goats at market.

What are some ways you all have diversified your operations? What's worked and what hasn't?

Thanks!
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Hi everybody,

Let's talk diversification. My intention for this thread is to see what experienced producers think are the best ways to diversify and keep the money coming in steadily throughout the year.

I'm inexperienced but have been plotting a career change for years now, researching how to make a profit with goats. I've been considering an operation, roughly 250 head, that focuses on both meat and fibre. By that I mean meat goats (the majority) running alongside fibre goats. Not crossbreeding them though, of course. My idea is that the sale of the fibre, sheared and milled, could bring in money when it's off season for selling meat goats at market.

What are some ways you all have diversified your operations? What's worked and what hasn't?

Thanks!
Mike
The fiber is a hard sell in most places unless you are an established name. Local craft shows we see some but not so many fiber artists. Try talking to local yarn stores to see what the interest would be.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The biggest con is that those two markets don’t overlap much other than taking angora wethers to market. Therefore, your commercial kiko herd would still need to be relatively good size depending on how much you can cut down on expenses with minimal input.

I’d be curious to see how successful goat fiber is as a whole. I have not met a single angora owner in almost 8 years. Seems to be a very niche market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts