The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know who needs to hear this, but:::
For quite a while a paper copy of this book has been hard to come by. Just bought a copy on Amazon and there were several new and used copies for anyone interested and looking. The one written by Cheryl K Smith.
Not sure if I'm doing this right, I've never done the forum thing but I need some serious help/advice about my 7 month old nubian. I can't find anything online and even my vet is stumped

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I am in my phone right now, so please mind spelling mistakes

we need more information... what is her rectal temperature? Is she coughing,lethargic, is she eating,drinking, snotty/runny nose? Is she pregnant, how old is she, is she in milk? All of this is important

have you or the vet given her any medicine/antibiotics, is she peeing? Is she pooping?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in my phone right now, so please mind spelling mistakes

we need more information... what is her rectal temperature? Is she coughing,lethargic, is she eating,drinking, snotty/runny nose? Is she pregnant, how old is she, is she in milk? All of this is important

have you or the vet given her any medicine/antibiotics, is she peeing? Is she pooping?
No, no it's nothing like that. Shes healthy and spoiled rotten. I just didnt want to post any information if I wasn't doing this right. Anyway, I've had her since birth and she's a pet. Lives inside and up till about 3 months ago slept in my room on a pallet next to my bed. She is my baby. At any rate, about 2 months ago I got 2 Nigerian dwarfs for companionship. One is a year and a half doe and the other is a young wether. He was banded the night before I got him. I'm fairly certain that because he was technically still a "buck" having him is what caused my nubian to go into heat. She is going into heat every 14-21 days, it typically lasts about 24 hours. Here's where I need help. She is ALL over my husband when this happens lol I mean ALL over. He cant be out of her sight or she has a major meltdown. She climbs in his lap, she drapes herself all over him, does this grunting noise. Its hilarious to me because normally she follows me everywhere but wants nothing to do with me at this point. I'm at a loss. Will this stop? Lessen? I had no plans on breeding her and I still dont want to as she is my girl bit that seems to be the only thing I've found about a doe going into heat, is to breed her. I'm fairly new at being a goat "mama" I've been around goats but she is my actual first. Sorry this is so long, i just wanted to give a little history. Any suggestions, advice, or answers would be really appreciated. It's super hilarious to watch but it makes my husband's job 100 times harder lol
Thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
83,746 Posts
With correction, it may help.

Get a spray bottle or squirt gun, put water in it and spray her with it , when she miss behaves, have it on stream, not mist, so it gets the point across better and at the same time say a stern No~! Or whatever word you want to use to discipline her.
After she gets the idea, just saying the word should stop her.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Lol! she will never stop going into heat, but 2-3 months is the time they reach sexual maturity (when she satrts going into heat), but that doesn't mean you can breed her yet! Dont breed until 1 year or older is my rule, although some people do breed a few moths before that and still have healthy strong babies and safe deliveries. I do agree with @toth boer goats!
for next time you want to make a thread here is how you do it!

On the top menu, you will see the word "forums" click on that. Then select the topic that it is about, so if you have a question because one of your goats is sick, click on health and wellness, or if you have a newbie question, you could do beginner goat raising or goat management etc... then type away, and press post thread, and you are all done!
It is ok for the long post,we love that here on TGS!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Lol! she will never stop going into heat, but 2-3 months is the time they reach sexual maturity (when she satrts going into heat), but that doesn't mean you can breed her yet! Dont breed until 1 year or older is my rule, although some people do breed a few moths before that and still have healthy strong babies and safe deliveries. I do agree with @toth boer goats!

On the top menu, you will see the word "forums" click on that. Then select the topic that it is about, so if you have a question because one of your goats is sick, click on health and wellness, or if you have a newbie question, you could do beginner goat raising or goat management etc... then type away, and press post thread, and you are all done!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Get a spray bottle or squirt gun, put water in it and spray her with it , when she miss behaves, have it on stream, not mist, so it gets the point across better and at the same time say a stern No~! Or whatever word you want to use to discipline her.

Good luck.

I definitely have no plans to breed her but her this song and dance she does with my husband every couple of weeks is crazy. Lol the spray bottle doesn't work when shes in heat and since it's not something she can control I dont want her being punished or thinking she is being punished. Its hysterical to me but it does put a dampener on my husband's day lol is this something she is going to continue to do or will it ease up some? Does anybody have an answer to that? Or are we looking at going through this for the rest of her life? Lol
Thank you so much for your response

·
Registered
9 Posts

Good luck.
The spray bottle doesn't work when she's in heat. All common sense goes out the window when shes in heat lol and I feel bad disciplining her for something she can't control. Any other ideas? Will we be dealing with this her whole life or will it ease up? I can't seem to find any answers to this. Mostly I just get that I have to breed her and I had no plans to do that.

Thank you for your response

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I feel bad disciplining her for something she can't control.
Yes, you are correct, she cant control her heat cycles, but she can control her behavier, and since she is a nubian, she is gonna get big, possibly up to 140 pounds, it wont be so cute for her to be trying to get into hubbys lap lol!

She will always have heat cycles every 14-21 days.

Maybe, if you dont wanna use the squirt gun, maybe you could just pull her away and use very firm NO, she just needs diciplined, and needs to know what is right and wrong.

Also, can i see a picture of her? I absolutely adore Nubians!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, you are correct, she cant control her heat cycles, but she can control her behavier, and since she is a nubian, she is gonna get big, possibly up to 140 pounds, it wont be so cute for her to be trying to get into hubbys lap lol!

She will always have heat cycles every 14-21 days.

Maybe, if you dont wanna use the squirt gun, maybe you could just pull her away and use very firm NO, she just needs diciplined, and needs to know what is right and wrong.

Also, can i see a picture of her? I absolutely adore Nubians!
That's what we're afraid of lol shes already at 80 lbs shes gonna knock him on his butt when shes at full size lol
I'd love to show you a pic of her!! How do I do that? Lol

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh my! She's gorgeous! I have 3 Nubians and a Nubian/Alpine wether. I agree with those who say you need to correct her behavior. My Nubians are BIG and HEAVY, and they could do some serious damage, even if they didn't mean to. I don't allow my goats to butt, bite, jump on, or crowd me. That being said, they are all very affectionate, and will often come up and lay their heads on my shoulder or on my lap for attention. I love letting them be close to me, but it has to be in a way that's safe and comfortable for both of us. If you look at how goats treat each other, they have some pretty rough and aggressive ways of communicating their personal boundaries. I've NEVER had to get as rough with my goats as they've gotten with each other, but I have been very clear with all of them that they have to be gentle with me. When I had my buck in with one of my does for breeding, he got all excited and tried to mount me...let's just say, he only tried that once. :D So they can learn to be respectful, even when the hormones are raging. Hope you can find something that works for you (and your husband). Good luck with Luna!

·
Registered
31,049 Posts
Having the new buddies may help her turn her attention to them. Do they have a yard with shelter to be in? If not I would get that built. Goats should spend their day browsing and being goats. I know it's hard when they are loved so deeply. I have two Nigerian who lived 6 months in the house since they were tiny and cold when I got them. Of course weather got better but I hated to send them to the barn lol It was hard for me to start them out side but it was what was best for them. They are nearly 2 years old now and well adjusted in the herd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh my! She's gorgeous! I have 3 Nubians and a Nubian/Alpine wether. I agree with those who say you need to correct her behavior. My Nubians are BIG and HEAVY, and they could do some serious damage, even if they didn't mean to. I don't allow my goats to butt, bite, jump on, or crowd me. That being said, they are all very affectionate, and will often come up and lay their heads on my shoulder or on my lap for attention. I love letting them be close to me, but it has to be in a way that's safe and comfortable for both of us. If you look at how goats treat each other, they have some pretty rough and aggressive ways of communicating their personal boundaries. I've NEVER had to get as rough with my goats as they've gotten with each other, but I have been very clear with all of them that they have to be gentle with me. When I had my buck in with one of my does for breeding, he got all excited and tried to mount me...let's just say, he only tried that once. :D So they can learn to be respectful, even when the hormones are raging. Hope you can find something that works for you (and your husband). Good luck with Luna!
Thank you so much!! They are all fairly well behaved. We play together and they know their boundaries with their 2 legged herd members, they're all very loving and affectionate except when Luna is in heat lol we will start getting more firm with her and hope it works. We've just felt bad because we know she cant control that and its gotta be miserable lol its definitely hard on the husband when hes trying to work on trucks and shes glued to him lol
Thank you for your response:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts