Raising Kids ??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Mar 1, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Since this is my first go around with raising kids, I would like advice from others about how they raise theirs.

Currently, I have 3 does and 1 buck all nursing from their Mamas. They are almost a week old. I have noticed they are getting interested in feed. (I have given all of them Probios)

When do you start to feed them grain, how much, and do you feed each individually, with their Mamas, or together??? They are fainters.

Secondly, at what age do you wean and will their mother's do this or will I need to help with this?

Thanks! :question:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this is how I do it. I have minis

When the kid/s start nibbling around in the mothers dish I start adding feed so that mom has enough to keep the milk going and stay in good condition and the kids can eat as well.

If I want to make one extra friendly I pull it aside and hand feed it grain.

I leave the kids on their mom till they are 10-12 weeks old. Mom usually is kicking them off more often then not during this time and when the new owners come they just take them. I don't have the space to separate them before hand as I know others do it that way.

Just want to say also that no matter what everyone else does - you have to find what works for you and your animals. What works for one person may not work for you. But you may combine ideas and find that it is a perfect fit. I know everyone will agree with me on this.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i bottle raise all mine & i put hay & grain down for them at 2 weeks of age. they don't eat alot of it but they do start to nibble on it. i start weaning mine when they are 3 to 4 mos(depending on weather i need the milk or not) last year i had alot of extra milk so i didn't wean them until they were 4 mos old. but each person does things a little different & you just have to see what works for you.

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I also have mini's and they begin eating with momma on their own. At about 4-5 weeks of age they will be given their own bowl to eat from. I wean between 8-12 weeks. Its case by case with me. I wean all the boys at 8 weeks and if I have a smaller kid I will keep them with momma thru the whole 12 week duration.

5. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Thanks! All 4 are nibbling food with their mothers. I think I will take your advice and start feeding them seperately at 1 month. When you do...do you feed the kids individually or as a group. How much grain do you feed a kid? I don't want them to overindulge or get fat.