Raisins and dogs don't mix

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by rebelshope, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. rebelshope

    rebelshope New Member

    908
    Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am sure many of you know that Raisins are toxic to dogs. I knew this too, but someone Zoe still managed to get in to them. She is at the vets, she is okay. For the full story see my blog. http://blackhorsefarm.weebly.com/blog.html

    For those of you that did not know that raisins were bad for dogs, now you do.

    Just thought this would be a good time to remind people.
     
  2. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I hope she feels better soon :pray: :hug:
     

  3. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW :? I did not know that they were bad for dogs. Thank you for the warning. I have a dog that has some but I guess not enough to her her.
     
  4. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just read the link. I am so glad that you were able to get her to the vet and save her. :hug:
     
  5. rebelshope

    rebelshope New Member

    908
    Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, I am very thankful that she is going to be okay. And I am really glad that one more dog owner knows not to give dogs raisins. It seems to silly, why are they healthy for us and toxic to dogs?

    Raisins are of course worse than grapes because they are more concentrated. A large dog will be fine with a grape or raisin or two. Zoey ate around a half cup, more than a toxic level.
     
  6. goatnutty

    goatnutty Active Member

    Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    You learn something new everyday...I'm glad she will be ok :hug:
     
  7. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my dog loves grapes... I guess he doesnt eat enough to hurt him :shrug:
     
  8. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...how scary... I never knew.... :worried:
     
  9. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I never knew that raisins were bad for dogs, thanks for telling me :)

    My german shepherd loves grapes though, they've never bothered him though :shrug:
     
  10. Thanatos

    Thanatos New Member

    937
    Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Wow I wonder if its the iron in em? Glad puppy's gonna be ok :leap:
     
  11. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Onions are a big no-no too.

    http://www.thedogbowl.com/PPF/category_ ... ogbowl.asp

    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=1030


    I feed a raw diet so its important to know what can and cannot be fed.

    Please let us know how your baby is doing. :hug:
     
  12. rebelshope

    rebelshope New Member

    908
    Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Zoe came home today. There was a big mess of raisins in her cage this morning at the vet office. So they passed through. Her levels of Ca did go up, but luckly she was on the IV so it flushed it out.
    Some reports say that as few as 7 raisins can cause death, but it depends on the size of the dog too.

    I am very thankful that I knew about the hazard, although that didn't stop it from happening. I am going to just not buy raisins any more, my goats can make due with animal crackers and corn chips :wink:
     
  13. Amy Goatress

    Amy Goatress New Member

    728
    Oct 1, 2008
    I knew you couldn't give raisins or grapes to dogs because of a veterinarian newsletter we used to get.
     
  14. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't mean to argue, but is that really true? We've given garlic to our dogs for worming for many years and we've never had a problem from it.
     
  15. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I don't call it arguing, I call it debating. :wink:

    As for garlic, you'll find lots of conflicted information on that one. And let me tell you, I'm on the side of "It does little harm." I copy/pasted the information above and didn't nitpick through it.

    I've never found garlic to have adverse effects, but that is for every dog owner to decide for themselves. :)

    Rebelshope - I'm so glad to hear she passed them and is doing better! We'd love to see a picture of her, too. :greengrin:
     
  16. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I think that anything in excess wouldn't be a good thing, wether it's proven to be toxic or not. I have a concord grape arbor and one of my old cockers favorite things to do is to "vaccuum" the ground underneath it, he'll be 15 in August so I guess he must have built an immunity to them :wink:

    I do put about a teaspoon of garlic powder in my dogs food twice a week as it apparently has the benefit of repeling fleas and mosquito's....they haven't seemed to mind that addition either.
    The info you posted is very informative Epona, wether or not select items are truly harmful, it gives an idea as to what our pups really should or shouldn't have. Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

    And I'm happy to hear that your Zoe has recovered rebelshope, as you said, the goaties can be happy with animal crackers and corn chips to avoid a mishap again :hug:
     
  17. Amy Goatress

    Amy Goatress New Member

    728
    Oct 1, 2008
    I knew raisins and grapes were bad for dog's since we used to get a veterinarian newsletter since people have lost dog's to kidney failure from grapes and raisins.