The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little ram that we were looking forward to breeding this spring has broken his leg :( the vet was out and said it was a clean break and should heal ok in 3-4 weeks. He has a cast on now and is getting around ok. Was wondering if anyone knew how it would effect his ability to breed? Or should I be on the look out for a new breeding ram? He is so sweet and wasn't cheap. I really hope he will recover enough to breed this spring. What does everyone think?

image-2697301602.jpg

My son and I checking up on him

image-919826578.jpg

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
You know, really it just depends on how it heals. If the vet says it will heal fine, then he really shouldn't have trouble humping. If he gets around with no limp when it heals, I would still use him.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for such quick replies! He only has 4 ewes to service so hopefully he will be able to handle it. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed :)

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
With taking care of it right away, I don't see any problems with using him for breeding. Time will tell for sure but I bet it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the vet said it was a good thing he did it while he was young. Cast comes off in 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't use him. If his break will heal in 3-4 weeks spring is still several months away, he should be fine by then.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea we called the vet as soon as we saw he couldn't get up and that it was broken. These Sunday farm calls from the vet are getting expensive.... The Sunday before the ram broke his leg my one goat ate rat poison :( hopefully no more emergencies for awhile. We are lucky to have good vets here in lancaster though. They are always available to talk or help. Thank goodness. I'll give everyone an update when the cast comes off. Thanks again

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cast came off! He is walking and running with a slight limp. Looks to me like his "ankle" is just weak since he was unable to move it with the cast on. (His cast came down below his hoof) He is still separated from the wether for another week. We let him in his own small pasture for an hour or two a day to strengthen his leg. He really wants to be back with everyone else. You can tell the poor guy is lonely. He stands at the fence line and yells to his girls and his wether buddy. Also we trimmed his hooves thinking that may help it heal up better. We are pretty optimistic about his recovery. :) thanks everyone

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
good news..!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts