Ram questions

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by Itchysmom, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I am hoping that someone here has sheep and can answer a few questions.

Does a ram in rut smell as bad as I herar goat bucks do?

Can you keep a ram and a buck together when not breeding? Will they get along and not try to kill each other?

Thanks!
    Kymi

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wish I could answer that ...but never had a Ram...hope someone can answer that for you..... :wink: :thumb:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    rams dont smell.. though I'm not around sheep very often.

though a buck and a ram have different fighting styles..bucks rear up while sheep...ram. I'd worry about them injuring themselves

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you! Iwas thinking about the different way they fight. I guess I could put them next to each other so at least the ram has comapany.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    another thing I'm worried about with my sheep. is that he'd be housed with my two bucks, Rush and Ritter. Sheep cannot have copper...but the goat feed/ and mineral both have copper. wondering what I'm going to do with Zamboni now... ??

6. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    That is another thing! I did see someone write once to put the mineral up high, so the goat can stand up and reach it, but the sheep can't.

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Sorry this is late. I don't get on on the weekends... Rams don't stink. Thank goodness they don't feel the need to pee on themselves. :p Mine don't jump on things like my goats. They will walk up stairs if they think they can get some food. I have large wooden spools...(they never jump on them) the goats love them. Just put a feeder and mineral tub mounted on a tree. Be sure to put it up high enough the sheep can't stand up on their hind legs and reach it from the ground. They do love to eat and think everything is for them. I always keep a goat/sheep block on the ground so both can feel they are getting the same thing. :greengrin: They are such brats! :sigh: "How come he get's something special?" "Cause mom likes me best!" "Nuh uh. I'm her sweet little Moo Moo. She tells me so." "MOM!" Then they bugtussle. No one has ever been hurt by each other. (knock on wood)

Gina

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks mrs. lam. I hope I can find a place to temperarily put these sheep. The guy who was making a corral for them had to go out of town for a week. The owner said I could have the 4 rams if I pick up the ewes soon. I was thinking about keeping one oof the rams for breeding as these shep are not common to the area..they are Barbados.

Do you just keep the ram with the ewes all the time?

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    My Moose is a Barbie! :)I don't have any ewes so I had them wethered. That was before I learned they didn't stink. :greengrin: I hope to get a Jacob ram and ewe one day. They are so cool looking. I want a 2 horn ram and a 4 horn ewe. The lady that had some, kept the ram with the herd. She didn't seem to have any problems. (she used to have goats and traded them in for sheep when they got out and danced on her new car) :shades:

Gina

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Oh my, dancing on the car would mean hubby would have them in the freezer pronto!

I will wait until I get the sheep to decide. I have to find out if they are all related. Altho, owner said the ewes have already been bred as they are all in the same paddock.

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Are they tame? Moose is a bottle brat, (I've had him since he was 1 day old) Baa Baa is my woolie and I got him at around 4 months old. He had not been handled but he caught on real fast. :greengrin: He still takes off if he see's me coming with a hoof pick or needle. I just hide everything in my boots and take them some fortune cookies. (they LOVE fortune cookies!)

It get's really hot here! We clip Baa Baa and I brush Moose. It keeps him from matting and I can feel his body condition. I do have to tie him to a post. He doesn't like his hair pulled. Big baby. :p

My sheep are much calmer than the goats. The goats want to play all the time, sheep like to lounge. Baa Baa loves baby goats. He is the best babysitter. He will play chase. When the kids jump on their spools, Baa Baa runs around and around til they jump over him then off they run around the yard and back again. Bless him. It's sooo hot right now, none of them want to play.
    Gina